By Blindjac - 20/02/2019 16:00

Today was my moms wedding and I was the maid of honor! I was so excited to walk down the isle with my mom, but the church was so dry I got a bloody nose 5 minutes before going down. I couldn’t go down the isle or watch my mom go down either. I had to stay in the back and hold my nose up. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 268
You deserved it 191

Same thing different taste

Top comments

As per my Red Cross First Aid course, when you get a nosebleed, you're supposed to lean your head down to try to get the blood out faster, not hold your nose up & make the process take longer. So you didn't even have to miss your mom's wedding, you just had bad information. You could have at least put your head down to watch. I'm sorry.

I would have just stuffed some tissue balls far enough up my nose so that no one could see them to soak up the blood for 2 min. and breathed through my smile and taken care of the issue the first moment I had the chance to. Sorry about the issue though. That sucks.

Comments

I would have just stuffed some tissue balls far enough up my nose so that no one could see them to soak up the blood for 2 min. and breathed through my smile and taken care of the issue the first moment I had the chance to. Sorry about the issue though. That sucks.

Maybe your nose knows something about the guy your mom is getting hitched to? Run away!!!

On a practical note: When I was young I had nose bleeds myself. Nose bleeds can be triggered in people susceptible to them by high blood pressure such as feeling very anxious or upset. And use a tissue instead of picking the nose - Thin skin in the nose with blood vessels close to the surface can be easily caused to bleed. Once the cycle gets started you become more likely have nosebleeds. That was my problem as a kid I am ashamed to admit.

As per my Red Cross First Aid course, when you get a nosebleed, you're supposed to lean your head down to try to get the blood out faster, not hold your nose up & make the process take longer. So you didn't even have to miss your mom's wedding, you just had bad information. You could have at least put your head down to watch. I'm sorry.

Also if you tilt your head back the blood goes down your throat and can make you choke. Source: regular nosebleeds for the last 20 years, and have been correcting the crappy advice to tilt my head back from day one.

I long for the heady days of yesteryear, when the people that run this site would proof-read the submissions. I miss that.

Wow. Looks like you still had you nose up when you typed this FML... Or maybe your mother really did get married on an island so small you could walk down it before the wedding? In this case, I still have no clue what a dry chruch is :-S

So... you get a nose bleed every time you're bored? Or what does the church bring dry have to do with anything?

If the song has not started yet, I would have asked if the ceremony could be delayed for a few minutes. As the maid of honour at your mother's wedding, I am sure everyone would have been fine with it. If not, you could have used a tampon (if there was one available, cut it to a smaller size) as a temporary substitute (works wonders for a friend who gets nosebleeds easier than the average person). Whatever you do, do not tilt your head back when you have a nosebleed. It will not make it stop and who likes the taste of blood? When I am desperate to stop one, either because I am in a hurry or down with it, I sometimes blow it out. It is messy, but it does speed up the stopping process.

Yeah that's what I came here to say: The ceremony should have been delayed to wait for OP! I get a lot of nosebleeds and mine are done in twenty minutes. A service can wait 20min! Perhaps it couldn't though, like maybe the venue was very popular and they only had it for an hour before the next event. I hope the bride didn't just choose to exclude their daughter because they thought a delay would be embarassing.