By bad dad - 05/06/2019 06:00

Today, trying to be a good co-parent, I asked my ex if he’d like to go to the circus with our kids and I. His new girlfriend of a whopping five days said it made her uncomfortable. He stood us up. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 170
You deserved it 188

Same thing different taste

Top comments

mr_dinzaster 16

Well that was pretty big of you at least you tried what else can you do

If you're so insecure about your relationship that you're uncomfortable with them spending time with their kids then you have serious issue. They've only been together for five days, and the kids and ex will always be a part of his life.

Comments

mr_dinzaster 16

Well that was pretty big of you at least you tried what else can you do

bloopaloop 27

Is his new girlfriend why you asked? This can go both ways. Ain’t my first rodeo

ok so they haven't been dating long, but think of it from the girlfriend's perspective, since it's a new relationship she might feel a bit insecure in letting her new boyfriend go on an outing with his ex & kids. if you were dating someone would you want them hanging out with their ex? most people i hear aren't ok with it, some are though and more people should be okay with their significant other hanging out with ex's or friends of the opposite gender. got to have some trust in your partner. your ex though should have re-assured his new girlfriend or at least not stand you up. and he definitely should make time to be with his kids.

If you're so insecure about your relationship that you're uncomfortable with them spending time with their kids then you have serious issue. They've only been together for five days, and the kids and ex will always be a part of his life.

If you can't handle an ex-partner, don't date someone WITH KIDS. It's so shitty to put some adult's insecurities over the kids' rights to see their own father, but at least they know where they rank on his priority list I guess.

what do you mean "letting her new boyfriend go on an outing with his ex & kids"? You don't have a say in who your partner goes on outings with, and even less if it involves his kids, and even less when you've only been together a short while. Although I would question the wisdom of still trying to do stuff as a "family" once the parents have split, why pretend that all is well? And I would also question the length of the relationship. Maybe he was banging the GF before the split too.

kmorse 14

If you aren't mature enough to handle this situation, don't date someone with kids. Simple as that. Co-parenting is hard enough without new significant others inserting themselves where they don't belong.

@Rebelwithmouseyhair I can tell you that Because I have a step-son, and after admittedly a lot of work on the adults' sites, we now enjoy hanging out as two sets of parents with him. They're still the kids' parents, nothing will change that, and it's unfair to make the children chose constantly between who they spend time with. If you were mature enough to have kids, you'll be mature enough to have a civil relationship for their sake. Obviously excluding abuse cases. No one's making you be best friends with your ex, but your kids deserve quality time with both their parents without having to chose or being told they can only to a thing with mum/dad as long the other parent isn't involved. You're not obligated to hate your ex forever and it's actually much nicer for everyone to move on and find common grounds to co-parent on if it's possible, believe me.

mssileas yeah I get your point, thanks. Well done for working on becoming civil with each other! I got the impression in this FML that the split must have been recent, although that's maybe because the new relationship is very recent. It certainly doesn't sound like they've had much time to work much on their relationship.

Let’s face it: you’re really happier he didn’t show up. Plus, you looked good by making the invite.

Maybe she wouldn't have been as uncomfortable if she had been invited, too. Was that posed as an option, or did she feel as if she were being intentionally left out?

Most single people with kids don’t have their SOs meet their kids after only 5 days. And most exes of that person also aren’t ok with it. You don’t let someone get involved in your kid’s life unless you know their gonna be there for a while. It’s not fair to the kid.

Yes, I understand that, and I agree with it as well. I was just thinking about why the new girl would be uncomfortable.

Trinity Fenwick 7

wow. talk about a lame excuse. he just didn't want to go

Taylor Caldwell 10

Serves you right for wanting to go to the zoo I guess. Like come on aren’t we all on the same page with boycotting this cruelty already?

duckie227 22

You seem like fun at parties lol

Traveling_Book 9

So it sounds to me like the guy just didn’t want to go. He probably used the girlfriend as a scapegoat so he could semi save face even though it doesn’t really help. No grown ass man is gonna let some new chick dictate when and if he spends time with his kid.