By pleasestop - 01/05/2014 02:13 - New Zealand - Wellington

Today, the family in the apartment next to me decided to give their 4-year-old kid a recorder. It's been three hours. Kill me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 706
You deserved it 3 693

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Did you try asking them to stop? or get noise cancelling headphones?

I feel your pain, it was like that with me for a while; recorders are evil devices that cause people to punch you in the face if you play one

Comments

Did you just refer to a human being as "it?" O.o

cryssycakesx3 22

You could always blast your radio on your music to catch their attention.

Report those *****! They aren't allowed to disturb other residents without their prior consent

I understand making a noise complaint, but I doubt anyone actually gives "consent" to be disturbed...

cryssycakesx3 22

usually you can make as much noise as you want until a certain time. unless you live in an apartment/subdivision which have their own rules.

30-by "consent" I meant getting permission from neighbors to make noise

groovycrazyjoe 18

let the kid explore nature lol

meli1195 31

Do you know what a recorder is...?

He did say apartment so complain to the landlord FYL

I disagree...going *directly* to the landlord causes unnecessary friction between all parties. I would first let three or four days pass--then take the mature approach and talk to your neighbor. I'm sure a compromise can be reached without any unnecessary bitterness developing and lingering (which would be a drag because you are kind of stuck as neighbors). BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if the "recorder" is for school music classes...so the kid does have to practice sometime. If a satisfactory compromise can't be reached...then contacting the landlord would be reasonable, imo. Just a thought.

Uh, #54.. a 4 year old in school?, learning music?

Yeah. There are a lot of music classes out there for kids--even for 4 year olds (believe it or not). Sure, most aren't hardcore classes...it's just exposing kids to music and different instruments.

91hayek 31

Or It's a Small World, or Twinkle Twinkle/The Alphabet. My sister had one, it was the worst. Funnily enough, when she gave it up, the sudden silence in the house was eerie and unnerving.

doglover100 28

That's the only song I can play on it.

I would talk to the neighbors about the noise. If that didn't work, blast your music while the kid is "practicing". If that doesn't work, complain to the landlord.

maybe just politely knock on the door and ask them if they could limit recorder time. most reasonable people will under/compromise.

Give it a day or two. The parents likely will recognize their error and the recorder will disappear.