By planes - 30/12/2009 06:27 - United States

Today, on the airplane, the kid behind me kicked my seat hundreds of times, while the big bald guy next to me farted deadly ones repeatedly. I was on a non-stop 14-hour flight. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 996
You deserved it 2 611

Same thing different taste

Top comments

davek 36

"Psst. Stewardess? When the people behind me got their bag out of the overhead locker, I heard a weird ticking noise."

All that is missing is the screaming baby.

Comments

tuboshu1986 0

It sucks. But anyway why don't you ask the kid's mother to stop him.

thinmint 0

twinklestar I feel your pain. my child is in the terrible threes now and there's no controlling her when we have to be still or quiet for ANY reason... some people honestly think children are supposed to be mature, miniature adults.

Ouch. Three's > Two's. They're that much bigger and louder without many more manners than they had at two usually. =( I always just tell myself anyone who minds is in for a big shock when they reproduce and will feel like assholes when their kids screaming on the ground in some public place while everyone nearby looks on.

clairdnj 0

Most two year old are not even full sentences. So trying to reason with them over good behavior on a 14-hour flight is absurd. Stay at home if you can't deal with irritations in a public place.

What kind of moron kids do you have experience with #23? Both my sister and I were speaking and understanding full sentences around one year.

Haha, doubt it. Most one year olds have a couple of words, but there is no way in hell they can form complete sentences. Full sentences come closer to 2-2.5 years old. I have two nephews that are almost a year and a half, both are on track verbally and neither can speak full sentences. They say mama, dada, ball, dog, off, no, down, etc. All one word responses. Also, I have another nephew who is 3 and very speech delayed. Doesn't mean he's a moron. He understands everything you say to him, he just can't express it in full sentences.

Oh so just because your nephews are one and a half but can't speak full sentences, no one can at that age. Got it.

The majority of kids don't speak in even simple sentences until they're two. Idk said "most" kids don't and they're entirely correct.

She also said "but there is no way in hell they can form complete sentences." lrn2read

From what I gather, this is just an FML, and in no way a shot at the kid's parents or the man's bowels. I mean, regardless if you have an understanding of a child's nature or not, you must admit that 14 hours nonstop of the same irritation would get old no matter how much tolerance you have, no? I'm not assuming none of you have, but how many have honestly been on flights that long? I absolutely LOVE flying, but in order to get from my hometown to where I'm stationed in Japan, it's a 14 hour straight shot. The first 7 hours are fun...but the last 7 hours are absolute torture. Not because of kicking or farting or drooling or anybody doing quirky things, but just because the plane gets extremely stuffy and claustrophobic after a while - and I'm not easily claustrophobic. 14 hours can easily drag out into 30 lifetimes, even without minor inconveniences. Obviously, with the minor inconveniences, it can only get worse. When my husband and I flew home to visit, we had the only Asian descendant of Sasquatch sitting next to us. His shoulders were at least three times as broad as Hubby's, and Hubby used to be a linemen. OP, FYL indeed. I feel ya. If possible, book your next long-ass flight on a Tuesday. Our last flight was on a Tuesday and not only was it extremely kid-friendly (lots of kids to keep each other busy and, logically, out of your hair), but every other seat was empty. Not to mention it was super cheap cuz it's the middle of the week!

Haha, agreed! Ive done 15-16 hour flights from the US to Europe. Luckily, on the one to England, I passed out for most of the flight. The first one, to Paris, I was up for the entire thing....it definitely gets tiring....especially if you're excited about getting there!

Last flight I've been on was with my family. There were kids, like 5 years old, kicking my seat. I looked at the mother and politely asked her to have them stop. Multiple times. It was only a 2 hour flight. FYL OP.

TryToBeKind 0

Can't do much about the big bald guy, but you CAN turn and say something ot the kid about not kicking your seat, "Pleas stop kicking my seat, that is very uncomfortable." usually it works best when you approach the kid anyway, parents take to it better. If Parent wanted ot say something to you, THEN you can say, "I apologize for talking to your kid. PLEASE tell your child to stop kicking my seat or I will get someone in charge on the plane."

That would be a strong reason to do what I do and fly business/first, especially on long flights and when you are alone. You actually get good service/food and people are generally better behaved.

omg, I would kill to get a seat in first class for our trips back and forth overseas. They look SO COZY. But in this day and age, majority of people can't afford that kind of price hike. While we can comfortable afford two round-trip tickets economy, two round-trip tickets FC would be in the ten-thousands. Yikes.