By Anonymous - 23/03/2013 00:34 - United States

Today, my psycho abstinence-only sex ed teacher claimed condoms give 50% protection at most against pregnancy. I couldn't help but correct her. She apologized for her "mistake", saying, "It's just that we're not ALL sluts, Kara." Now everyone thinks I'm a raging whore. FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 325
You deserved it 6 843

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Wow. Report her. Not only is she teaching incorrect information, but she's calling a student a ****. Get her a$$ fired!

chelsearenaeee 16

Your teacher sounds like a 40 year old ignorant virgin.

Comments

I bet she that teacher has even seen a penis.

I bet she has never seen a penis before in her life* I bet that teacher has never seen a penis** Choose one.

Or, 'I bet that teacher hasn't even seen a penis', which seems to be what #11 intended

suspiciousspider 4

You've got to report this to someone above her, and report it to a teacher you trust. That sort of behavior is never ok and it's especially inappropriate coming from a teacher to a student. She doesn't deserve the job.

Better yet, OP, complain to your parents & they can report your teacher. It's much more effective because your parents have to fight for your rights anyway while you're a minor. When I would report a problem as a minor, the administration would shrugged me off. But the time my AP English teacher pompously told me that being under privileged, I would never be able to succeed in life like a rich privileged child would, my mother gave administration an earful about her lowering my self esteem as a student & making such outrageous statements. I had went to my teacher to let her know I couldn't afford to buy any of the required literature books at that time & asked her for other options I could do for the time being. Then my teacher's superiors corrected her by giving her a warning, she was left in fear of being told off by her bosses again, so she was less arrogant after that. So confide in your parents & let them take care if it. Don't feel bad because what she did was unprofessional & wrong.

49, you did not belong in AP English if you "had went to" the teacher.

181, People make grammar mistakes all the time, not catching one silly mistake doesn't mean I didn't belong in AP.

Not to be all trigger happy, but teachers aren't allowed to say that to students. That's like one of those offenses that could get her fired.

AliceAristocrat is right, and coupled with the fact that she is giving extremely incorrect information about protection makes her a dreadful SexEd teacher. And to top it all off she calls OP a ****; she deserves to be fired.

Well, that's what abstinence-only "education" is--deliberately misinforming students. I don't know if OP still lives in a state that prefers keeping kids ignorant or that she has a teacher who's remarkably misinformed, but study after study shows it doesn't work. When used properly--and I must stress that--condoms are pretty darn effective.

i'm with #1, she needs to be reported because that is only a toe in the door to bullying

Holy shit... she is part of the problem in this country. She has no business "teaching" anyone.

Saw your profile pic and remembered how much I loved Nintendo!

You know you can send private messages on the website, right? Oh, you're only on the smartphone app? I suppose that comment wasn't worth the space, then.

She seems like one of those spiteful people that would poke holes in the condoms she gives out in class...

Actually that statistic is close to the correct statistic because condoms are usually used incorrectly. The statistics the condom company gives you is in proper use but drunks and inexperience people don't use them correctly making them less effective

That's why you always take the dirt road.

Shouldn't sex education teach you to use a condom?

46 - I feel the same way. In Canada, my introduction to sex ed was in third grade - you learn the science mechanics of it first (how the ovaries release an egg, how you can get pregnant, etc). Then in sixth grade, there was another section where you learn about puberty and sex. In ninth grade you have the biggest class, learning about STDs and pregnancy and safe sex. It absolutely terrifies me that they think abstinence-based education actually works. The failure rate of condoms is directly proportional to the education students receive about using them. Teach them early how to use them CORRECTLY, and you'll watch that failure rate go down. The failure rate as far as pregnancy goes will also go down if condoms are used in combination with other forms of birth control, and condoms also prevent STDs. Also, 50% failure rate of condoms for pregnancy is COMPLETELY WRONG. With perfect use, the failure rate for pregnancy is 2%. With typical use, it's 15%.

I gotta be honest. I do not understand how someone can misuse a condom. It is really quite straight forward. Plus most condoms come with instructions. Perhaps we need to focus more on teaching people to read.

I imagine the most common problems are things like putting it on the wrong way, not pulling the air out of the tip, or not grabbing it before pulling out. Using it wrong can lead to breaking (they rarely break when used properly), which is where the failure stats come in.

TheDrifter 23

In my experience, condoms have a rather high failure rate, around 25%. While those failures may rarely lead to pregnancy, as it's not a guaranteed outcome, and they often break early, I believe condom makers should really take some responsibility for quality and make some that stand up to real world use a little better. Also, extra small to medium, with one single style in large is BS. We need more sizes and styles for those of us who weren't born with a size handicap.

I'm pretty sure the chance of pregnancy, even without any form of contraception, is usually less than 50%.

121 - It depends what point of the menstrual cycle the woman's in. If she's ovulating there's a very good chance she'd get pregnant from having unprotected sex. If she's on her period it's extremely unlikely. I've heard that if you have unprotected sex for a month, you have about a 25% chance of getting pregnant. Although I'm not sure if that's a scientifically proven statistic or just something someone made up.

Actually, a perfectly sexually healthy man and woman, at the optimal point in the woman's monthly cycle (2-3 days before ovulation) only have approx a 20% chance of conceiving any given month. And that's if they're TRYING.

mokielove 10

if a teacher said that, they have no place in the school. that's ducked up on so many levels. I would have called my parents. went to the principles office. reported that person. teachers have no right to talk to students, in that way at all.

yea who the duck does she think she is anyways?

So Autocorrect Duck visited you today, huh, 76? How is the little fellow? He hasn't been at the pond in a while.

"If you have sex, you will get pregnant, and die."

if you have sex your penis will fall off and go into an alternate deminsion full of dogs and they will eat it

maebelline12 12

Am I the only one who noticed the Mean Girls reference? Love that movie!!

I think they noticed :) It is a good film!

Every time you have sex, God allows Nickleback to release a new album.