By so_this_is_me - 30/06/2016 18:21

Today, my parents lectured me for wanting to wear sneakers to a wedding. The wedding is on a farm. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 638
You deserved it 4 551

so_this_is_me tells us more.

Just to clarify, the dress code was business casual but since it was on a farm, I was trying to choose comfortable, practical shoes that would not get totally ruined and that still looked nice which proved to be a bit of a challenge. After lots of shopping around and trying on many pairs of shoes, I found a pair of flats and I ended up wearing those. It did rain pretty heavily later so I ended up getting permission to change into shoes that I wouldn't mind getting muddy. This had absolutely nothing to do with entitlement, I was just trying to be practical :)

Top comments

Somehow I doubt the wedding will be in the pig-pen. I can see why you might not want to wear stilettoes but unless it's been really wet then most other shoes are going to be fine.

You know, with enough stilettos and creative seating arrangements, the owners of that farm could get some nice aerated soil or holes for seeding!

Comments

I would ask the bride and groom if they're okay with you wearing sneakers. It's their wedding, not your mom's, so it's up to them whether or not sneakers are okay to wear to the farm wedding.

sophie0908 16

Ok but who wears sneakers on a farm? If that's your excuse at least wear boots or something

Just to clarify, the dress code was business casual but since it was on a farm, I was trying to choose comfortable, practical shoes that would not get totally ruined and that still looked nice which proved to be a bit of a challenge. After lots of shopping around and trying on many pairs of shoes, I found a pair of flats and I ended up wearing those. It did rain pretty heavily later so I ended up getting permission to change into shoes that I wouldn't mind getting muddy. This had absolutely nothing to do with entitlement, I was just trying to be practical :)

I see my mom doing this.complaining about me not wearing appropriate shoes.

Still... It's a wedding, not an average day out.

You should still have to wear the appropriate attire for the event. I mean, if not then why wouldn't ya get some boots?

I can't be the only one who finds it sad we live in a society where you have to be told these things. Weddings are formal, no jeans or sneakers. I have gone to multiple outdoor weddings and weddings in barns. Just wear flats or nice sandals and skip the heels.

MOST weddings are formal, but not all are.. You don't know what the wedding's dress code was. I've seen people have weddings with casual attire. My cousins wedding was semi-casual and his bride just wore a white sun dress. Heck my sister's was super formal but even she thought about wearing gym shoes under her wedding dress, because she knew it would be more comfortable and no one would be seeing her feet under that long dress anyway.

thatsthewayitis2 6

Really my brothers wedding was on a farm yesterday and I work vans

Okay but was the wedding casual? I wouldn't go so far as to say "all weddings are formal! ALWAYS dress up!" But you SHOULD match the formality of that particular wedding. So just because one wedding on a farm is informal doesn't mean all farm weddings are.

I feel your pain. I have some sneakers that are comfortable but also sensible and plain to wear with more formal clothing. I also own a pair that is dark metallic silver for parties. Even though both pairs work fine and still make me look appropriate to the occasion my mother (and ONLY my mother) still gripes about it. I just ignore her.

#49, I own a pair of lace sneakers and I wear them to parties. There is a difference between sneakers and sneakers that people don't seem to realise.

hbs11476 9

Wear a nice pair of boots. Maybe cowboy boots. Some are downright fancy.

For everyone bitching say how informal it is and just all around rude to want to wear comfortable sneakers or shoes in general because it's a formal affair, I'm getting married in October and the whole wedding party is barefoot for the ceremony and flip flops and sneakers for the reception. For all you know the bride and groom could've been expecting people in comfier more practical shoes being a farm wedding

My sister is planning her wedding now, and while it's not on a farm a good portion of it is outside. She included a card with the invites with local traffic/hotel info and dress code info that noted women may want to wear wedges or flats instead of stilletto heels. If the couple in the FML were expecting it, they probably would (or should) have said they were expecting it.