By so_this_is_me - 30/06/2016 18:21

Today, my parents lectured me for wanting to wear sneakers to a wedding. The wedding is on a farm. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 638
You deserved it 4 551

so_this_is_me tells us more.

Just to clarify, the dress code was business casual but since it was on a farm, I was trying to choose comfortable, practical shoes that would not get totally ruined and that still looked nice which proved to be a bit of a challenge. After lots of shopping around and trying on many pairs of shoes, I found a pair of flats and I ended up wearing those. It did rain pretty heavily later so I ended up getting permission to change into shoes that I wouldn't mind getting muddy. This had absolutely nothing to do with entitlement, I was just trying to be practical :)

Top comments

Somehow I doubt the wedding will be in the pig-pen. I can see why you might not want to wear stilettoes but unless it's been really wet then most other shoes are going to be fine.

You know, with enough stilettos and creative seating arrangements, the owners of that farm could get some nice aerated soil or holes for seeding!

Comments

Oh man, that sucks. But hey, maybe you can make a compromise. Like, wearing flats at the wedding.

Somehow I doubt the wedding will be in the pig-pen. I can see why you might not want to wear stilettoes but unless it's been really wet then most other shoes are going to be fine.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Is the wedding in a animal pen? most likely not so just wear flats.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

I don't think it's entitlement here, I think it's more the OP is female and doesn't want to wear nice (or as I was thinking, open toe) shoes on a farm. I wasn't getting the sense that she wasn't taking it seriously, as I can totally see where she'd be coming from. Even as a guy I can sympathize, and in all honesty, while not ideal, guys dress shoes are way, way better traipsing through mud than women's.

Exactly! My cousin got married on our family farm and all the women just wore flats or dressy boots because they were comfortable and more sensible than wearing heels.

You can ruin nice shoes on a farm, I doubt it's entitlement.

Mdoromis-I notice you didn't say they wore sneakers, which is what this post was about. Does nobody recognize that there are some options between your best dress shoes and sneakers?

Uh, yeah. I didn't mention sneakers because no one wore them to the wedding-- which is exactly the point. And I'm fairly certain the flats and boots I mentioned are somewhere between sneakers and someone's "best dress shoes."

You know, with enough stilettos and creative seating arrangements, the owners of that farm could get some nice aerated soil or holes for seeding!

Sounds like the beginning of a country song

What you wear is a sign that you respect the significance of the occasion. It's also a chance for you to look your best - I hear many people find their significant others at weddings, so maybe you want to pull out the Cinderella slippers which you can conveniently "lose" at the end of the night while changing into sneakers. ;)

Where exactly did you hear that? I think one night stands with drunken bridesmaids/groomsmen is much more common.

You guys, I was just trying to encourage OP to dress nicely so I may have exaggerated the part about meeting significant others at weddings (which I heard via anecdotes). And the whole Cinderella thing was obviously a joke. Apparently I'm not a funny drunk...

Sneakers would look dumb with your formal overalls. Lol