By so_this_is_me - 30/06/2016 18:21

Today, my parents lectured me for wanting to wear sneakers to a wedding. The wedding is on a farm. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 638
You deserved it 4 551

so_this_is_me tells us more.

Just to clarify, the dress code was business casual but since it was on a farm, I was trying to choose comfortable, practical shoes that would not get totally ruined and that still looked nice which proved to be a bit of a challenge. After lots of shopping around and trying on many pairs of shoes, I found a pair of flats and I ended up wearing those. It did rain pretty heavily later so I ended up getting permission to change into shoes that I wouldn't mind getting muddy. This had absolutely nothing to do with entitlement, I was just trying to be practical :)

Top comments

Somehow I doubt the wedding will be in the pig-pen. I can see why you might not want to wear stilettoes but unless it's been really wet then most other shoes are going to be fine.

You know, with enough stilettos and creative seating arrangements, the owners of that farm could get some nice aerated soil or holes for seeding!

Comments

And it's not your wedding. So unless you were told that you can just wear whatever you feel like, quit complaining and wear whatever shoes you're supposed to.

I mean, you pretty much deserve it, unless the bride and groom explicitly said that you don't have to wear formal attire (yes, shoes are part of being formal). You have to learn sooner or later to respect the event and the people it is for. Better your parents lecturing you beforehand than everyone there hating you for being disrespectful.

I feel like there are a couple of interpretations here, and I'm the only one who believes mine. I don't think she's talking about it on a formal level. I think it's more a practical thing, as dress shoes, primarily women's, aren't necessarily suited for a farm. Now, the bride and groom probably know that, and planned accordingly, but I can see why she's still want to wear something more suited (I.e. Close toed and less nice) for a farm. That's what I took out of it, I could be wrong, but I certainly don't think OP is just being entitled here. Unjustly concerned, likely, but I doubt entitled.

I mean, that's still being entitled. It's basically saying "because I think formal shoes are impractical I should be able to wear what I want".

I don't really see this as entitled. More like common sense colliding with social demands. If there wasn't a specific dress code sent to attendee, I could see this happening, especially if OP isn't particularly socially skilled to begin with. Maybe their reaction is bit off, but unless the bride or groom were upset, it's also off for OP's mom to be mad... Unless she's one of the marrying parties.

Gotta do what you gotta do to save money (I'm not only posting on this FML, this would have been rude I did)

#13 they're not even getting married they are going to a wedding, learn how to read fam.

msmedieval 11

You don't know where exactly on the farm the wedding will take place so wear comfy dress shoes (no skinny heels) & maybe take a pair of flats with you just in case.

why can't you wear trainers? hell for my own wedding I wore flats for the ceremony as soon as I walked out the hall I put my trainers on. I encouraged people to wear what they were comfortable in.

Yeah I mean there are options besides sneakers. Cowboy boots are the obvious choice but I'd bet that you don't own those. Depending on the formality of the wedding, nice sandals could work. Casual loafers could work. Or really, you just suck it up and wear dress shoes because it's not like they're asking you to do farm chores or walk through mud or anything

Wear slacks and dress shoes then. If it's good enough for men, it's good enough for women. I sure as hell wouldn't be wearing potentially expensive/dressy/easily mucked and hard to clean shoes to a farm. That said, why ask your parents? Why not ask the bride/groom-to-be whether they'd mind if you wore more casual shoes. I mean it's great that you thought to ask (or that's how I am taking the 'wanting to wear' phrasing, not 'because I wore') but your parents' opinion is worth jack shit when it's not their wedding. Unless it is.

If OP is not very close to the bride or groom, or is under 18, it is completely acceptable to ask the parents. Social norms are part of a parent's job. They didn't need to be dicks about it, though. But planning a wedding is a lot of work, and it would be much more rude to pester the couple with questions like, "Why can't I wear sneakers?" when they are busy with other things.

Okay, but you don't have to whine, "But whyyyyyyy can't I wear sneakersssss?" OP has clarified that the invitation said 'business casual', and it's not pestering to email/call someone and say, "Hey, sorry to bother you, but I've never been to a wedding on a farm before and I'm a bit worried about my footwear, would it be alright to wear [type of shoe]?" If I was hosting a wedding, I'd rather have someone ask or clarify than just go ahead and do something--or worse, not ask and end up ruining their outfit because they went overly dressy when it didn't go with the location.