By notthesame - 18/08/2016 04:45 - United States - San Antonio

Today, my overprotective dad bolted all of my windows shut so that I don't turn out like my sister and sneak out or sneak boys in. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 726
You deserved it 1 196

Same thing different taste

Top comments

It obviously sucks to be punished for a sibling's bad choices. But you might also want to point out to your dad that he has created a fire hazard. If your family is renting, that might actually be a serious violation of your lease agreement. And if your family owns the place, he may have just voided your home owner's insurance. (unless he removes the bolts before anyone finds out).

That first part kinda reminds me of Harry Potter...

Comments

That first part kinda reminds me of Harry Potter...

perfect but wheres hermonie and ron n everyone to the rescue? (since harry was saved by ron -boy- hermonie snould save op -girl-) right? #bump #Shonen Jump #Harry Potter

Well, FYL, op, but you really can't say he's not having a good reason to

I agree. While its shitty and maybe slightly over the top, it seems necessary to the father. Although I never understood why people complained about this unless the snuck out themselves or brought people in.

Well if she's bolted in, she's trapped in case of emergency... So, yeah. I'd be pissed, too.

askullnamedbilly 33

Seriously guys? EVERYTHING is wrong with this situation. Not only did he punish the sibling that did nothing wrong, locking your daughter in her room because you're afraid she'll have sex is ****** up to begin with. Rapunzel was NOT meant to be a parenting manual, for heaven's sake.

Some parents aren't great parents, just cause it seems "necessary" to them, doesn't make it right. She's complaining about this because she's being punished for another person's mistakes. Her sister was the one that snuck out, as far as we know the OP hasn't done this. Until the day that she actually breaks this rule, she shouldn't be punished with a sealed window for it. The dad is taking away his trust before OP even got the chance to prove she wasn't like her sister. Imagine if you were punished for another person's wrongdoings like this, wouldn't feel great, would it? I had one of these overprotective fathers too, and although he never sealed windows or anything, they are very annoying and aggravating. By doing this, you're just hiding and "protecting" your daughter from the world, instead of teaching them how to actually live in it. You're also showing 1)you're not confident enough in your own parenting to know you raised your daughter to be responsible. 2)you have no confidence or trust in your daughter to make good decisions and have a good judge of character when it comes to boys and other people, which makes or seem like you didn't teach her these things either. And 3)girls are not dainty little flowers that need to be protected from the world and the "terrible" boys in it. We aren't children, and the majority of boys aren't bad. It's incredibly demeaning and insulting, and coming from a girl with an overprotective father, it just serves to push your daughter away from you.

He doesn't have a good reason. I could be wrong but from my friends out of state, in Texas sex is even more taboo and parents are more are more worried about their daughters having sex than sons. My parents were some what like this but not that extreme, but unfortunately I was the crazy rebellious teen. Most my parents would do was hide all of the keys and my phone and sleep near the front door. Texas has the highest case of teenage pregnancy because the schools as well as the parents don't teach their kids about safe sex but more so that sex is bad, which results in a lot of rebellious teens.

It obviously sucks to be punished for a sibling's bad choices. But you might also want to point out to your dad that he has created a fire hazard. If your family is renting, that might actually be a serious violation of your lease agreement. And if your family owns the place, he may have just voided your home owner's insurance. (unless he removes the bolts before anyone finds out).

Unfortunately, I see some merit in his behavior.

That is unfortunate because it means that today you found out you share the ideals of a controlling jackass. I'm sorry about this bad news and I hope you get better.

Tell your dad that it is too late, and that he just locked a boy in your room along with you ... when he asks where, just smile and walk away. He will ruin his entire day looking for said boy!

Are you still able to open the windows a little? If not you might want to wait 2 weeks or so, then release a big foul smell in your room. Assuming he doesn't want to stink the whole house, your dad will unbolt the windows. Repeat that a few times so he becomes tried of rebolting the windows.

Sucks that he caught onto you before you thought he would. ;)

I really can't stand this clichee of dads being overprotective of their daughters because of those evil boys out there whose main goal is to have sex with their daughters. Although they are more likely to make bad decisions if they are very young, they really can decide for themselves. Plus no dad gives a shit about protecting their son from hoards of pubescent girls.