By Stheno - 16/09/2013 12:49 - United Kingdom - Bristol

Today, my mum got engaged to her American pen-pal, who is in prison over there for murder. FML
I agree, your life sucks 57 708
You deserved it 3 635

Stheno tells us more.

Sorry it took so long to write back I didn't know my FML got posted :) Now to explain a little. It turns out his trail wasn't fair and the reason he was found guilty was because his cell mate made a deal to get out of being sentenced if he lied about my step father admitting to murdering someone. His da also turned out to be an alcoholic. There is no evidence connecting my step father of the murder and now we're working on getting him released :)

Top comments

Sir_ND_Pity 35

He must be a killer romantic. No? I'll show myself out.

Disgusting how some women go for murderers. Or rapists. These women are twisted inside.

Comments

lets hope he never takes "till death do us part" too seriously

ViviMage 38

Gotta watch out for your new stepdad in the dark!

Maybe he was wrongfully convicted? It does still happen.

Highly unlikely. It's pretty difficult to get convicted of murder in the states. You're more likely to get away with a crime you did commit or be convicted of a lesser charge than you are to be wrongly convicted.

But it does happen and there are most likely additional unknown cases because once someone is executed the motivation to find out whether he was innocent or not is further reduced.

Please ignore above comment #78. It was made in reply to a comment that has now been deleted.

This sounds like a "Catherine Tate Show" skit. Not as funny when you're living it.

doglover100 28

She does know she probably won't be able to go anywhere with him if the sentence is for life (which I'm sure it is).

Not necessarily... My dad spent 20 years in prison for murder. He was convicted of slitting a woman's throat and received a 10-20 year sentence. Not all murder charges result in life sentences or death penalties. My dad has been out for a couple of years now... And doing well.

hope it doesnt end up like that one movie with Vince Vaughn...

domestic disturbance is an awesome movie

I think it's quite sad seeing what people post on here. Maybe it was an accident? And even if it wasn't, people can change, can't they.

If it was an accident, he'd be convicted of manslaughter, not murder.

People can change but they don´t have to. He might still be the same killer that went to prison with a few fresh and new ideas from other inmates. And is murder not usually defined by having the intent to kill someone (it´s like that in my country). You cannot really accidentally plan to kill someone and then accidentally go through with it I think....

I totally agree. Although I would change the word 'change' to 'therapy' or 'recover'.

It is entirely possible that the killing was something accidental, like he was driving drunk and crashed and the passenger died. They still call that manslaughter. Or someone broke into his house and he killed them. Just because he's in jail for killing someone, it doesn't mean he is/was a cold blooded killer.

Most states have a "Castle Doctrine," and even in the ones that don't, it's highly unlikely he'd be convicted of murder for killing an intruder in his home. Manslaughter, perhaps, but not murder. Anyway, if the guy is in jail for murder in the US, there's a 99.99% chance he totally deserves it, given how difficult it is to convict someone of murder here.

I believe the law is something along the lines of 'you can do to them what they would do to you' so no if they brake into your house its still murder... One time a thief cut himself on my grandpas fence (after cutting it) and sewed him, btw he won the lawsuit and didnt go to jail

Google the "castle doctrine." It presumes that the life of the victim of a home invasion is in peril, thereby giving that person the right to use deadly force against the intruder. Only a few states don't have the castle doctrine, but even in those states it's nearly impossible to convict someone of murder for killing a home intruder. However, booby traps are typically illegal, and some states obligate home owners to ensure their home is safe enough to prevent accidental injury to intruders. Weird, I know.

What if he's in jail for something other than murder rape or robbery? What if he hacked into his job computer system to play a prank on his boss, or beat up someone who caused harm to his family? My point is that we don't know his story to judge him. I do believe that ur mother shouldn't b so quick to marry the guy, but we shouldn't hear the word "jail" n instantly think that the guy is unfit for society.

hazardmuffin 21

Uh, OP said "in prison over there for murder." I think they know his story.

The word "murder" made it instant for me.