By idkgiraffes - 28/12/2014 03:57 - United States - Everett

Today, my mom finally got a Netflix account after months of me begging. When I asked her what the login was, she refused to give it to me. She said, "Netflix will know it's not me and then they'll cancel our account." FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 472
You deserved it 3 333

idkgiraffes tells us more.

OP here, she eventually caved and gave it to me but she said "if House of Cards randomly stops, I know who to blame."

Top comments

iTzSelverZz 14

The Netflix police are watching!

Comments

Also just so it's clear, I have a job. I'm also 17 and my mom has pretty much full reign over what I do with my money and "wasting" money on my own Netflix is apparently not allowed.

I have to ask, how does she control it exactly? I don't think it's wrong that she has a say, but at the end of the day, you should be able to spend your money however you wish. it's wise to listen to your mother's advice - but it doesn't mean you should let her decide everything for you!

mjnelson 7

Different strokes for different folks. I think OP should be able to spend their money as they please if they earned it from their job, but I also realize some parents aren't exactly "reasonable" when it comes to personal fiscal responsibility.

#59...idk about anyplace else but Wells Fargo wanted my mom on my bank account when I was 17

yeah I am a mom don't get the whole control freak thing! just know if mom didn't pay $11.99 for the one with lots of accounts it might not work

puzzy 13

Netflix is so much cheaper than cable now. Soooo much cheaper. And there is options to add more than one viewing account on it. Hopefully she understands that now!

My mom is the same way. It's complete bull how even when you're making your own money your parents have total control over your finances...

dragoongirl90 34

I understand that like my mom basically controls what I will and will not spend my money on. If I want to take out or spend more than $50 I have to consult her first and tbh it's not that bad bc if I was in charge of my finances it would probably be gone by now lls.. But it's also frustrating bc sometimes I feel like since it's my money I should be able to do what I want. At the end of the day ik she does it bc she loves me and she's trying to teach me how to manage my finances for when I do go out on my own

bearkoda 11

#60 that's bizarre, I've had my own bank account since I was 14! thankfully mom didn't control it all since it was MY money, but I did have to start paying for my phone... (and yes I had my first job at 14, at a church)

Some of the other commenters are right, Netflix knows people share their accounts and allows for multiple screens/devices to use your profile at once. They just charge more per month according to how many screens you want to validate your account on to combat the sharing.

I've never been charged more for my Netflix and I let my sister and best friend both use my account.

You don't pay for the number of people using Netflix. You pay for the number of screens that can use it at the same time on a first-come-first-serve basis. I quote... Once you have an active Netflix membership, you can have six (6) devices registered to your account at any given time, and you may stream up to two (2) movies or TV shows at the same time by default. There is also an option to upgrade to four (4) streams at the same time from the Your Account page.

WickedFan 12

My Netflix allows three different screens to be playing at once.

welp, time to hack two things. Netflix and hack at your mom, with a butcher knife :)

Yes, indeed, the illuminati are watching you every step you take.

Just clicking on the button isn't enough, I sympathize that ur life really sucks

Tell her I have a UK account, and I use a proxy to watch US Netflix. They don't even notice me crossing the Atlantic in 5 minutes. My father-in-law used to do the same on my account from Turkey. In fact they allow several people to set up accounts (so you ave different recommendations) and up to two using the account at the same time.

Read an article last night that says Netflix is being accused of cancelling/freezing accounts that use a proxy to access international stuff. It might just be a rumor, and Netflix is probably denying it, but be aware of that.

They won't cancel you for it but they almost certainly know based on their recommendation algorithms.

Actually they'd know without the recommendations since you can have profiles. My mom has it with 4 profiles (1 for everyone in the family) and it can be played on two devices at once.

My mom pays for my Netflix and I'm the only one that uses it