By BrokeAsHell - 30/05/2013 08:51 - Australia - Werribee

Today, my landlord emailed me, stating that she hasn't been receiving my rent. After some investigation, I found out she's been using the money to buy booze, and hasn't been putting it into the house owner's account. FML
I agree, your life sucks 50 903
You deserved it 2 879

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Beat that bitch senseless.....- in court.

jsprackman 11

Comments

TheyCallMeDamien 17

Talk to the homeowner and show up with your paperwork and a lawyer.

Print out your bank statement and talk to a lawyer. If your landlord is cashing your checks then it is theft. Seeing as rent can be a sizable amount, it could even be a high charge of theft.

Most banks provide a picture of the cashed check.

Please tell me you used checks or money orders....

I am a little confused at the wording. I thought the landlord was the house owner. I am from Australia, and with my rental properties, I am considered the landlord (or lady if you prefer). I have a real estate agency collect the rent and deal with any problems, but it's all carefully documented. Most people transfer their rent money electronically, so the OP should be able show that she has been paying her rent. I am given a statement every month showing expenses and what has been paid. If I didn't get that every month I would be chasing it up. Hopefully it's not been too long she has been spending your money.

Well now you know what it is going towards at this rate you'll be maybe kicked out...unless you can find a way to get things sorted out...

Report her to the police and sue her. Write a letter to your landlord/homeowner and explain everything.

XxXCrissyXxX 12

This is why, if you haven't been paying this way, you pay with money order or check. You can always have proof that way..

uhmaizing 3

how does one go through 750 a month in booze, maybe at bar.

Maybe its not 750, i pay 175 a month for my place

I doubt it was $175. Just to give you an idea, a small 2 bed room house in a remote township 2 hours away from a major city is around $860 month ($215 a week). When I was first married 10 years ago, we rented a no frills, 2 bedroom flat for $160 a week. When I was a nursing student, we paid $200 for a room in a dorm per month, and that included utilities.

uhmaizing 3

Yeah sew her hard. and make sure you cross stitch those seams. Maybe she will give you some tips old women are pro seamstresses.