Ripped off

By Anonymous - 07/10/2020 02:02 - Singapore - Singapore

Today, I rented a house for 5 years with my girlfriend, only to find out she is the actual owner. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 550
You deserved it 243

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You need to marry her! Reason 1) You have a good chance of having smart babies with a smart lady. Reason 2) You'll probably be given a discount on rent as a wedding gift. I'm thinking about 15%.

Taylor Caldwell 10

He probably moved in with her 5 years ago and agreed to pay half the “rent” oblivious to the fact he was in actuality paying towards her mortgage.

Comments

You need to marry her! Reason 1) You have a good chance of having smart babies with a smart lady. Reason 2) You'll probably be given a discount on rent as a wedding gift. I'm thinking about 15%.

A 5 year lease with a girlfriend is a pretty serious commitment, in and of itself. I would hope you’d discussed finances more than that. And if she misrepresented herself on the contract is on both sides of the lease indirectly and everything, that sounds legally dubious but I’m no contract or real estate lawyer, especially for Singapore. Sounds fishy to me, (though if you are dating and living in her house paying her reasonable rent isn’t ridiculous, and a contract isn’t a bad idea.)

Taylor Caldwell 10

He probably moved in with her 5 years ago and agreed to pay half the “rent” oblivious to the fact he was in actuality paying towards her mortgage.

That would make more sense, and it's a bit sketchy hiding that it was her home for 5 years, but I know quite a few people who have openly done that with roommates. One person owns it, and the others pay fair rent for rooms. As long as the prices aren't exorbitant, it's not a bad idea if one person has the capital to own the home. Most young single homeowners I know do that.

Michael Sawyer 11

my 23 year old daughter does this with her house in Summerlin, NV(a section of Las Vegas) I bought the house for cash(hit a jackpot) in 1999 and in 2000 after my youngest daugher was born I set up a trust that would pay all the yearly taxes until January of this year. She rented out the other 4 rooms to her friends she goes to UNLV with. 200$ each a month(all utilities included, Plus cable and internet). And she uses the money from the rent to pay her own bills(utilities and cable bundle, car payment and insurance) and the yearly taxes on the house.

Michael Sawyer 11

that is how i read it as well Taylor Caldwell. Today(most likely a few days/weeks ago truthfully) he just found out after 5 years she owned the house

bl3ur0z3 17

So she wanted to make sure you're not a free loader before telling you that she's a responsible adult with the means to purchase a home. Ok.

I read a story like this before but it was the guy that owned the home in that one. The comments there weren't nearly as forgiving hmmm

That's because men earn 30% more than women. If he pays her rent, it evens the ground. If she pays him rent, it makes it worse.

man or woman its their house. if you're living in it they're allowed to charge rent regardless of what they earn. frankly if I moved in with a partner and they owned the house I wouldn't feel right about living in it unless I was paying something. im a woman btw

A young couple were going on their honeymoon, but when the husband was anxious to get to bed, his new wife said "20 bucks". That came as quite a shock, but he was really ready after waiting for their marriage, so he paid up. They rented a home, got jobs, raised children, but every time he wanted sex, it cost him $20, and while he got used to it, over time it really put a cramp on his lifestyle. Finally after 40 years he came home and told his wife that the plant was closing, and at his age he doubted he could get a new job, but his wife just smiled and told him there was no need. They already owned the whole building, and several other rental properties. She had been carefully saving, investing and reinvesting all the money over the years. In fact they could afford for him to retire comfortably. The husband was so happy, he couldn't speak for a few minutes, but then he cried and hugged his wife and said " If I'd known you were doing that I'd have given you all my business."

jfigley 5

Wow, that's really cool. That sounds like there was a LOT of sex! lol

The gag is that he was saying he's been cheating on her with prostitutes their whole marriage.

OP - Were you expecting to live free? Even if girlfriend owns house, she probably has expenses like a mortgage, taxes, etc. Don’t be a freeloader.

Amanda G Rich 23

so? I pay rent at my boyfriends house. we've been living together for 5 years too

jbowww16 10

Y’all would actually lose your shit if you reverse the roles here

The problem here isn’t that you are paying a rent to your girlfriend, but that she hid the fact for 5 YEARS. I would be curious about her excuse for lying by omission.

This sounds like a legal tax nightmare it she did ANY paying lol