By lentmarz - 19/08/2014 23:37 - United States - Boise

Today, my girlfriend of three weeks found the engagement ring I tried to give to my ex. She started crying and said yes. FML
I agree, your life sucks 56 234
You deserved it 12 339

lentmarz tells us more.

The story behind this is that when I proposed to my ex, and she said no, I was devastated. I hadn't really gotten over her, but my family set me up and I went out with her to humor them. We had a nice night and had gone out several times since. As for the ring, the materials were worth about $4000 and I spent over 2 weeks smelting and hand designing it. I spent so much time on it, that it didn't feel right to sell it. Also, I have made the decision never to see her again. So yes, I ran.

Top comments

3 weeks? I I didn't even hold MY girlfriend's hand during the first three weeks XD

Comments

kacironi 13

question is why do you still have the ring?

This is definitely a YDI. This only happened one of two ways; either your breakup was too recent to have pawned/returned the ring, in which case it's too early to be having a girlfriend(my opinion I guess. Shouldn't jump into another relationship soon after ending one that serious). Or it's been a while and you definitely should have gotten rid of it by now. Don't hold on to that kinda stuff, dude. It will only cause problems.

Haha I was downvoted by someone who obviously either holds onto things they shouldn't, or jumps from relationship to relationship workout care, and knows it. ;p It's okay honey, no one's judging you.. Out loud.

or maybe you we're downvoted by multiple people for jumping to conclusions.

Jamaican_Domo 10

Well if she's that committed, and the relationship has lasted long enough for you to care about her, so it may not be so bad at all?

Jamaican_Domo 10

But wait-wait-wait... Was she going through your stuff when she found it? If so I suggest you grab the ring and RUN ************ RUN

you must be the most awesomest guy for a girl to want to be married to you after only 3 weeks of being together

my2centsworth 15

You need to grab your ball in hand and tell her that's not hers or she'll have you by the balls for the rest of your life.

Queen_of_Night 20

Yeah, I have to say that's nuts. When my bf and I had just started dating, like 2 or 3 months, we were playing Lord of the Rings Trivia Pursuit. For those of you who hadn't played before there is a ring that is passed around. I got it and made a joke about putting a ring on my finger and he just looked at me and said "So?" My joke backfired on me so hard! Especially when he showed up with a little box for Christmas! LOL. Ended up being earrings but my mind was like "OMG OMG OMG OMG!!! Nooooo!"

Just say you inherited it from your grandma and you had it for years, just hide the receipt OP!

Dare I ask, how long ago did you and the ex break up? Ie, why do you still have the ring? But it sounds like if she's not the one (FML sounds like she's not), time to move on

The story behind this is that when I proposed to my ex, and she said no, I was devastated. I hadn't really gotten over her, but my family set me up and I went out with her to humor them. We had a nice night and had gone out several times since. As for the ring, the materials were worth about $4000 and I spent over 2 weeks smelting and hand designing it. I spent so much time on it, that it didn't feel right to sell it. Also, I have made the decision never to see her again. So yes, I ran.

Did you run? Did you run so far away? Could you get away?

Just couldn't throw the ring into mount doom, could you? Now you have to deal with Golum, only you're the "precious" this time.

Good on you OP. I certainly hope you get over your ex and find that special girl that will say yes when you propose I wish you all the luck one small, short child can give you.

skittyskatbrat 19

Total agreement on this and glad that you ran! Keep the ring...until you find someone you want to give or sell it to. It might be 20 years from now to your kid on their 16th birthday, who knows? But if you put that much effort into it and sell it, you'll regret it. Here's hoping you find someone worthy of that sort of devotion, and soon! but not three-weeks soon :)

I'm curious as to how you managed to get the ring back from her! Also how you're planning to get into the Witness Protection Program, since I think that's the only way you'll manage to escape the crazy chick's wrath no matter how far you run!

you designed and made the ring yourself... I'll marry you shoot lmao

dDailydDosage 8

I think you made the right choice. Thank you for the follow up. I hate that you're in that predicament with the ring. You can wait to give it to the right girl. But if you can't seperate the memory of your ex with the ring, might be better to get rid of it. It'll be hard but moving on always is.

152: people do that all the time. They are called jewelers. I'd sell it... Otherwise you are now giving it to a new fiancé... After making it for your old one (lame.) Or you give it to a kid to remind you of the girl that got away... Which your then wife would probably be pissed you still had the ring. Keeping it long term can't end well.

ninety 25

I would also suggest selling it, especially if you know that you and your ex will never happen again. It might help you to get over her. But that aside, if you ever do propose again, your new girl deserves just as much thought and effort as your ex did. Not some hand-me-down.

Call me crazy, but so you broke up with the ex, now you broke up with the new girl of 3 weeks too? I admit 3 weeks would be a fast engagement, but now you broke her heart?

#171 it would not be a smart choice to stay with someone who he was, what it sounds like, casually dating for 3 weeks. That's a little soon to assume marriage. He wasn't setting her up to have her heart broken; she found it and her reaction was a very "insane girlfriend" reaction.

Melt the ring back down when you're over the ex and turn it into something different. Then you could gift it to a special family member (mum? sister?) or you could sell it like most people have suggested. Good luck in your future romantic endeavours op. Hope you find someone precious.