By chestycough - 16/09/2013 04:35 - Australia - Belrose

Today, my doctor asked me to undo my bra so he could check my breathing without the straps restricting my lungs, I got home and told my friends how awkward it was. Not one of them has had this happen to them before. We all go to the same doctor. FML
I agree, your life sucks 58 940
You deserved it 5 442

Same thing different taste

Top comments

flashback.miss 28

just creepy. change doctors and take appropriate action.

Considered that maybe your bra was tighter than your friends? Don't always jump to the worst conclusion.

Comments

It might be that you have a bigger bra ,which makes the auscultation hard to do and therfore you have to remove your bra! Just take it as a compliment instead!

Did he listen to your lungs before asking you to undo your bra as well as after? Perhaps it looked tight or your breathing sounded restricted and he wanted to check if the bra was affecting it? You may also be bustier than your friends in which case an ill-fitting bra can cause a lot of problems so that may have had something to do with it. Did he simply ask you to undo the back? I wouldn't worry too much, although perhaps if there is a female doctor or another doctor you trust at the same surgery, you could maybe make an appointment with them and ask their opinion on the situation, if they can explain the medical reason, nothing to worry about, if not then it flags it up.

Its people like you that make healthcare providers afraid to do their job for fear they will be sued! Good job!

Wyatt2013 2
truepanda 2

Im a straight girl but DAMN thats a good excuse. haha xD

Wow, that's really illegal. If you can catch him an get proof you can sue for misuse of power.

Jeez. Wait until you have a pap smear. You'll have to drop your drawers for that one. Also, speaking as someone with previously severe (and now moderate and under control) asthma, my doctor has asked me to lift my shirt/undo my bra so he can check my breathing numerous times. I don't think anything of it (since most of the time the strap/shirt is just in the way of where he wants to put the stethoscope). 1) If you felt uncomfortable, voice it before doing as you're told. There's nothing wrong with being uncomfortable naked in front of strangers/near strangers. My doctor has been my family doctor for more than 16 years and he's seen a lot more than my ****, but some people are naturally shy. Ask for a female nurse or secretary to be there during the exam if you wish, there's nothing wrong with that. 2) Remember that doctors see a LOT of body parts (on a lot of different people). This is just one more exam for them.

I've never had my doctor ask me to unhook my bra so he can check my breathing. He always has me leave my shirt on and sticks the stethescope down it, obviously because it reads better in contact with skin rather than cloth. Now, when I go in for my "well woman" check, I'm in a hospital gown and he examines my breasts without a bra on, and of course the pap smear. But he does that with every patient. That being said, I'd file a complaint, and bring your friends with you to testify.

monnanon 13

if you go in with chest problems they need to watch your chest in its natural state. nothing here says op was naked just that their bra was unhooked.