By MadSon - 11/10/2009 02:59 - United States

Today, my dad had something to tell me. He'd cleaned out my bank account to pay off 38,000 dollars worth of gambling debt. My wedding is in 5 months. FML
I agree, your life sucks 52 023
You deserved it 4 105

Same thing different taste

Top comments

skybeau 0

I second what #1 said - how come your dad has access to your account? If you're an adult, I thought you automatically became the main person in charge of the account and no one else could access it. Unless he stole your credit card or something? Either way, FYL for sure

Comments

OP your father has a gambling addiction. If he has tried to get help on his own, honestly and truly, then give him your love. If he is anything like my dead (suicide) father who gambled away $600,000 before we even knew he had a problem (drained his mothers life savings, my brothers and my college savings, his life savings and the mortgage on our old house, would have drained my mother's life savings and cashed in her life insurance but was through her work) then break off all contact with him, and I mean ALL contact with him. If you have bonds, bank accounts, cds, anything then cash them out and have the bank remove YOUR NAME, they will not close out a joint account with two names unless both are present, leave his name on and save yours. Because this is a joint account he is within his full rights to take any and all money that is in it, my family learned that the hard way. People with gambling addictions are sick and a major threat to anyone around them. do not trust him for any reason. And to anyone who responds to this and think they know better please do tell and give your sources of information and not just opinion.

I didn't know someone with a name like "icanpeestrghtup" could be so serious!

ROFLLL yesss hhahaa, that was great. ;D

that totally sucks. but really, your parents shouldn't be have access to your account. my parents haven't been able to take from my account since i was 13. what's your excuse?

Looks like your dad owes you $38,000. I'd charge interest. Not the kind you get on a mortgage, but more like what a gambler with a credit card can expect. As for your wedding, that really sucks. Go with a small civil ceremony now and maybe you can put on a larger one later.

trueleader 0

your dad is evil but don't put him in a home when he gets old that would be more evil! =D

well if he had access then ydi, if he didnt then just go tell the bank and get his ass thrown in jail. if anything was forged or faked then its the banks fault for not catching it.

fuckyourlifehoe 0

YDI for letting your gambling-addict father have access to your money, but I really hope you have the sense to take legal action.

sportsnut 0

YDI, why the $&%# do you still have your dad on the account? Aren't you supposed to be getting married soon an being completely on your own? you are SUCH a dumb ass

boatkicker 4

First, most dads know all your personal information and could have gotten in without being on the account if he had her full name, DoB, social, mother maiden name and whatever other personal info the bank asked for. My dad has done that to me. ALSO: "married soon an being completely on your own?" 1) Most married people are not on their own. They are with their spouse. Usually. 2) It's spelled a-n-D. I won't say anything more since I'm hoping it was just a typo. That I can understand, but unfortunately I have seen people that think 'an' mean the same thing as 'and.'

What is it with all the freaking adults that have their parents on their bank accounts? ESPECIALLY if the parents have a huge amount of debt that needs to be paid off? DUH?