By Anonymous - 12/11/2018 18:00

Today, my brother threw a mug at my head and threatened to stab anybody who came at him because I woke him up for school. I called the police after threats were thrown at my mom, who then lied to them and said I overreacted. I'm currently getting the silent treatment from my family. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 294
You deserved it 428

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Your mother is the kind of person who raises future Ethan Couches and Brock Turners. Here's hoping you get out of that environment quickly.

Comments

Your mother is the kind of person who raises future Ethan Couches and Brock Turners. Here's hoping you get out of that environment quickly.

literally been in the same situation as you. it's worth it in the long run

That is seriously disturbing. OP’s brother almost sounds like he has PTSD or is mimicking someone with PTSD. While Mom’s reaction is understandable it is also wrong headed. She’s trying to protect OP’s brother from the consequences of his actions and threats, while she should be more concerned about everyone else’s safety including OP and herself. This is potentially a case far beyond an FML. This family needs help. Mental illness is a very serious illness and OP’s brother appears to be beyond ordinary shitty behavior to potentially being a serious mental health issue.

Nathan, no normal person threatens to stab someone just for waking them up for school. Any threat is to be taken seriously to prevent it from happening, even if the threat is not planned to be acted upon. Others' safety is NOT worth that risk. It doesn't matter whether it's a stranger, acquaintance, friend, or relative. Anyone who behaves in such a way as OPs brother needs to face the consequences. The family defending him are only making it worse. If it was me, I'd cut contact with them for being too damn blind and not caring for the safety of each other. I actually disowned my uncle when he brought a pedophile into his house and other people with bad histories/intentions. His "friends" are a danger to my family, and he brings them over which causes trouble for everyone, so he can shove a cactus up his damn ass for all I care! OP did exactly what any logical person would've done. If his family can't see that, he's better off without them.

Though my older sister was on her own when I was born, I did grow up with my younger sister. Plus, I did live with a teenage boy when my mom dated his father. Yes, there was lack of privacy. Yes, there were arguments, but no one threatened to kill each other and no one harmed one another. There is absolutely NO excuse for such a behavior. You say that we are jumping to OP's side, but you're doing the same thing only that you're jumping to his brother's side. If the situation bad that OP felt he needed to call the cops, I'm more than sure OP's side needs to be taken seriously. Also, let me repeat what I stated above: There is NO excuse to be behaving in that way. Absolutely NONE! If it is indeed a hormonal issue, he needs to be sent to the doctor to get treated. Still, the family is in the wrong for lying to the police and blaming OP for something his brother did. If they keep catering to him now, it'll only get worse over time.

OP’s brother? Or maybe just someone that acts the same way

You need to take a bunch of karate lessons before you get mugged again! Does your brother, perchance, have a neck tattoo?

If your family is going to defend your insane brother who is threatening and possibly assaulting people, they can go **** themselves. They obviously don't have their priorities straight and are blaming the wrong person. Let them be silent for their whole lives if they want. I wouldn't talk to anyone (even family) if they choose to stand beside a lunatic after knowing what happened.

The messed up rotten apple didn't fall far from the tree in your brothers case op

You’re not the only one I know what that is like. I had witnessed my little brother fighting with his wife so bad that he legit broke her SUV side mirror and shattered the right front passenger side window. I called cop on him for the safety of my three boys and their two small children. When he found out I called cop on him he ran off because apparently he had warrant out on him. My mom lied to the cops that there was nothing going on and then she proceed kick me and my boys out of her house. Moms will always side with her bad child no matter what.

This is how tragedies happen people. Thank you for speaking up. Maybe start recording conversations and go straight to the police with evidence.

I mean that was shitty off him but I mean you don’t call the cops on family especially if this was just like a fit ik im going to get voted down but the police almost never “help “ a situation

ThatGuy9679 13

that is really terrible logic you have there

So him physically harming someone and pulling a knife on others is just a “fit?”