By thankssomuch - 17/12/2014 03:31 - United States - Standish

Today, my boss heard a rumor that I was in a relationship with a fellow co-worker. He assured me that inside relationships weren't against any store policy, so I confirmed it. He then fired my boyfriend anyway. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 520
You deserved it 5 338

thankssomuch tells us more.

Hey this is the Op.. So many great comments haha. I completely regret confirming it, it was like I walked into a trap. I'm going to talk to my head boss though because it's kind of ridiculous

Top comments

IAmzephyr 22

so he fired your boyfriend and not you? maybe it was for another reason?

tony1891 22

or maybe the boss is a horny bastard who wants op for himself.

Comments

I guess no one has ever heard of the labour board? You know, protecting workers from wrongful treatment? No? This is wrongful termination. It is astounding that people don't understand this. You can't just be fired for no reason. It's literally against the law.

ezrajab 22

Truthfully if it was a relationship just beginning ( seeing eachother for a few months already) it could create an awkward situation for anyone. If not and you two have already grown as a couple if should be fine. Best of luck op

Hey this is the Op.. So many great comments haha. I completely regret confirming it, it was like I walked into a trap. I'm going to talk to my head boss though because it's kind of ridiculous

That's what happens when you date people in the workplace. Had you focused on your job than finding a bf there, your bf would still be employed and none of this would have happened. I hate to rub it in but its true. I hope you learned your lesson.

It really blows he fired your boyfriend OP. I hope you get it worked out. Personally I think there's more to the story but I'm not gonna judge if there is. I'm just gonna wish you luck. :)

Yeah it does suck. People make mistakes and OP should learn from now on. The good thing is that the op and her bf are probably still together. Always find a positive thing to a negative thing. Good luck to you and your bf. Another job can be found. But love still goes on.

laulinavega - Do you have any friends where you work? It's the same thing. I'm sure OP didn't walk into work thinking "Today all I'm going to do is get a boyfriend". Harping on about no relationships in a workplace is ridiculous. It's a social place, unless you're forced to work isolated in silence.

Things happen that are out of our control I'm pretty sure op wasn't spending all her time at work 'looking' for. Bf

I do have friends at work, yes. We socialize out of work as well but I dont have a bf at work because I value my job and Im aware of the possible consequences.

sweetnsourrr 11

#51, the hell? People don't try to find love at the job, it just happens. I didn't expect it to happen to me, all I cared about was work and it doesn't affect my work whatsoever.

What do you mean it was "out of control?" I'm pretty sure "Hey wanna be my gf/bf?" wasn't an accident. They choose to do this and look where it got the bf. We can only hope they can learn from this mistake and still continue with their relationship.

I bet your boss wants to date you. That is why he made the comment about relationships in the workplace are not allowed. It depends on where you work if you sign a contract stating it is against policies or not.

sweetnsourrr 11

#67 You're too careful and that's a problem. You're so afraid that something bad will happen if you dated a co-worker that you shelter yourself. Your relationship has absolutely nothing to do with your job and it shouldn't. Its also none of their business what you do outside of your job just as long as they keep it outside of the job and keep it professional. From what I am reading it sounds like the boss was jealous because both should have been fired, not just him.

laulinavega - If you have a partner at work, but act professional, then there isn't an issue. Just like if you have a friend and work and goof off all the time, you should face consequences. Basically every scenario that could possibly go wrong with a work relationship can go wrong with a work friendship. Ex: If a you fall out with a friend, it's akin to breaking up.

Laulinavega-"If you had done your job instead of finding a BF," you keep making it sound like Op got her job in order to look for a boyfriend. How do you know she isn't doing her job? Actually we know she is good at her job because she didn't get fired. You keep dumping on Op which isn't fair, especially because there is no policy against dating a coworker where op works.

If there wasnt a policy against dating where OP works ops bf wouldnt have gotten fired. The boss said that it wasnt against policy so op can confess. That's how they get ya nowadays. So op told the truth and her bf got fired. Like I said if op thought with her head instead of raging hormones, none of this would have happened.

No, i am not too careful. Office romances fail tbh. What if you guys breakup? Its gonna be awkward and cause tension. Thats no fun. Thats why I dont even bother. I have coworkers of the opposite sex I work with and we are super tight. No, I dont have romantic feelings for them because i think bills are more important than raging hormones. Plus i wouldnt like it if we dated, broke up and caused more problems. And the boss wasnt jealous. He did his job. Its against company policy to date on the job and he did what he had to do. Shit, if i was a boss and 2 people dated theyd be out in a heartbeat because thats disruptive to the workplace.

If it was against work policy then they both would have been fired, not just the boyfriend. I agree with the person that said it sounds like the boss has a thing for OP.

Thats ridiculous. The boss cant be in love with the op thats against the rules. That would be hypocritical on his part. He fired ops bf because he had to do what he had to do. Maybe ops bf was a distraction to op. When i was in school if two people socialized too much the teacher moved them apart. Thats what happens. Relationships in the workplace are disruptive to the work enviroment. Professional or not. Its not allowed. Wanna date? Then quit and go on a romantic movie or something. Dont like it? Too bad.

#51 just stop talking. You are the definition of a bitch. Quit worrying about what op does at her job (which seems to be going great) and go have a few drinks. You need it.

ndnpride88 25

Well your boyfriend may have lost his job but atleast he has a pretty girl to cheer him up

Tell them the whole thing and how your boss was an ahole...

From the sound of it, your boss was jealous and fired your boyfriend as payback for it.

I married my wife, which I met at work. we have been together for almost two years now.

I would check your states laws but I'm pretty sure that's illegal.

I completely agree with everyone saying that as long as we keep it professional at work then all should be okay. We've been together for a while and people are just now finding out because we've been so professional about it. Also for people who are wondering, there really is no back story to this at all. I was confronted by my boss who had overheard another co worker making a comment about something they saw on Facebook.

the moral of this story is kept personal matters off of social media, hope you'll get you job back or work someplace better

He was obviously hoping it was just a rumor and that he had a shot with you then got mad when it was true and is hoping that separating you two will give him a shot at getting his foot in the door.

I dated a co-worker from Feb - August of this year. Company policy is that if you don't bring it in the work place, it's not an issue. We never bought it into the work place, and actually didn't tell anyone about it. But then another co-worker saw us out at the movies one night, and that's how the gossip begins. It's not worth it. Especially when you break up (which we did) it makes the work place awkward, and then more gossip.. When you start talking again? More gossip of "are they or aren't they?" It's not worth it to date a co-worker. Especially if there's a risk you, they or both of you can get fired.