By çafondpaslesucre? - 14/09/2016 02:28 - Belgium - Manage

Today, my 16-year-old daughter heated some sugar cubes in the microwave, thinking it would make caster sugar. FML
I agree, your life sucks 719
You deserved it 76

Top comments

With the magic of google: "This is the British term for sugar with small grains that are between granulated and icing sugar in terms of fineness. It is sometimes spelled castor sugar, and is known as 'superfine' sugar in America"

Caster sugar? Please someone reply and explain what that is :o

Comments

Caster sugar? Please someone reply and explain what that is :o

With the magic of google: "This is the British term for sugar with small grains that are between granulated and icing sugar in terms of fineness. It is sometimes spelled castor sugar, and is known as 'superfine' sugar in America"

It's orginally a post from the French version that got (poorly, according to your comment) translated into English

I Google caster sugar, it's very fine granulated sugar

cootiequeen4444 11

Their comment made sense though. castor sugar is more fine than granulated sugar and less fine than icing sugar. it is actually icing sugar that is powdered sugar. I think. at least it was described as practically a powder in fineness. The closest thing the us has is extra fine granulated sugar and/or baker's sugar though it does appear sugar that is castor quality is harder to find in the US than places like the US. Don't quote me on that though. My source was actually multiple sourced via a comment conversation and there is a chance they were all wrong ...

One_In_Three 24

What exactly made her think that? And why does she want to make caster sugar? So many questions...

And they can all be pretty much answered with one word: Teenager.

I thought #2's comment was bad, but then I saw yours

If life was a comic book, her idiotic attempt at making powdered sugar would've went horribly wrong and turned her into a powdered sugar themed super villain.

it does, right? no? I'm sorry, I have no ******* clue what caster sugar is. now... time to huff more whip cream

Well, everyone knows putting sugar in the microwave would just give you brown sugar.

Where on earth did she get this idea? You can make caster (or as we Americans call it, powdered) sugar by mixing four parts sugar (not sugar cubes) and one part cornstarch in a blender. But you gotta be careful when you open the blender.

Powdered sugar and castor sugar are different. Castor is very fine grains of sugar, not mixed with anything.

The best way to make Caster sugar from granulated sugar is to grind it up in a pescle and mortar ^^

I fail to see why this is bad enough to post on FML

In Belgium, due to their complicated past with the Congo and the rubbersugar harvested there, any confectionery is a sensitive topic. You can actually be fined upwards of 300 Belgian Wapfeln (approx 15 USD) for throwing away half a sugar pack at a coffeeshop.

Putting sugar in the microwave probably leads to burn caramel all over the place. I'm not positive, I've never tried it, but it was probably an enormous, stinking, glue-like mess.

No clue what caster sugar is so I guess I can't blame her