By Anonymous - 01/01/2014 05:38 - United States - Albany

Today, my 11 month-old son started viciously biting whatever part of my anatomy he can sink his teeth into. He thinks it is hysterical to latch on while I scream helplessly in pain for him to let go. FML
I agree, your life sucks 41 751
You deserved it 6 435

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Spanking is discipline. I was spanked when I was little and I love and respect my parents. It's to help them learn right from wrong not hurt them

Comments

Buy him a chew toy! The squeaky kind so he can get the same noise satisfaction! In all seriousness, to those saying spank or bite an 11 MONTH old baby you are insane, at that age you just have to put up with it or find a substitute for them to teeth on.

Dallyni 22

No one is saying bite hard. They don't understand that it hurts, they enjoy the reaction. So you bite to show them that it hurts.

Maybe I learned differently but I was always taught not to mess with infants too much. You just let them do their thing and only use a raised voice to make them stop doing something dangerous. Once again that's just what I learned and what I was taught. Biting back an older child like a 3 year old I completely understand but not an infant.

How are you supposed to raise your kids to what is right and wrong if you just let them do whatever they please for the first year and a half in their lives. I'm not saying to abuse them and never let them play or make the baby mistakes they do. But when something happens and they continue to do it, they aren't going to stop doing it because you never show them that's its wrong to do.

If you don't "punish" an almost year old baby by TEACHING them what their actions feel like to them, a baby will not learn the difference between right and wrong. If you're lucky, they will grow out of it. Otherwise, the habit can follow them for years, leading to other children being bitten as well. This happened to a friend of mine and almost resulted in a legal battle. There's nothing wrong with nipping or putting a distasteful substance on your skin for the baby to taste when biting.

Also, I'm pretty sure being almost a year old makes them a toddler more than an infant. Spanking an infant would be much more disagreeable.

perdix 29

Can't you smack his ass? If you can't, get him a Hannibal Lecter mask and keep him away from the chianti and fava beans.

It sounds mean, but bite him back. Not crazy hard or anything, but hard enough that he'll understand that it hurts when he does that. Your reaction is what's causing him to do it over and over again. He thinks it's funny because he's too little to understand. We went through an extremely short biting phase of my two-year-old when she was that age. I felt terrible for about three days after I bit her back, but she never bit anyone again.

Bite him back. That'll teach him a lesson on why you shouldn't bite.

Well of course he keeps biting you're making it a game for him and he doesn't understand the concept of pain associated. Bite him back and I don't mean like tear his flesh or mark him up but enough that he gets it.

Dallyni 22

Bite him back, not hard, just hard enough to get the point across

It's tough to discipline at that age because they don't always associate the punishment with the action. People have suggested spanking but that's VERY risky here since you'll run the risk of making him think that there's some big hitting/biting game going on. You're obviously not going to beat a baby with your full strength so it's quite possible you'll judge wrong and make things worse. Think like a baby and go after his real fears. I suggest trying hard to not scream when he bites, putting him down and having everyone leave the room. That will not be popular with him, but let him cry. Besides, what lesson is better? "Hit people when you're mad" or "You'll only have friends if you're nice to them." I know which lesson I'd prefer my kid to grow up with.

potterhead_143 10

Every time he does it bite him back. My son was doing the same thing and when I started to bite back he cut it out quick. Also look up Nursing Manners. It can be helpful for a stubborn nursingling.

Could turn into the baby in "A Series of Unfortunate Events"