By DommeAshlee - 21/03/2013 18:42 - South Africa - Kwandengezi

Today, I woke up to my cat giving birth, on my bed. I adopted her from a friend, who told me she was spayed. Now I have a giant mess and a cat who won't let me move either her or her babies. Guess I'm sleeping on the couch for a while. FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 090
You deserved it 4 475

DommeAshlee tells us more.

This is OP. Mama and babies are safely tucked away in the guest bedroom. The mom put up one hell of a fight and i have the scratches to prove it. All six kittens are doing fine. Spoke to my friend, she admitted to lying about spaying the cat. I told her she could pay the vet bills and buy me a new mattress.

Top comments

Well that sounds fair for what she did. Enjoy the adorable kitten stage while it lasts!

Aww kittens! Take a bunch of pictures of them in teacups and shit and become famous on the Internet! Remember OP, the teacup is half FULL. Of kittehs.

Comments

I would try putting together a box with some blankets and possibly a small heating pad and move everything there including possibly a blanket or sheet from your bed so the smell is there also. It's worth a try to get her to move to a more suitable place for you both.

You didn't notice your cat walking around pregnant for months?

No matter where the new pet comes from, get them to the vet within 48 hours of taking them in. This helps you confirm what you were told about them and make sure there are no surprises.

RKD 23

Cat no move, cat learn to fly like Daniel-san!

Don't move her, let her be... If you try touching the kittens she will kill them (don't ask me how I know this, I just know)

Quiet_one 22

Speaking from experience with new mother animals (including cats) and their babies, this is not true at all, and I have no idea where you would have heard such a thing. The mother instinctively wants to protect her babies, so if you touch them she may try to kill YOU, but unless there's something wrong with her she's not going to hurt the babies on purpose. The only explanation I can think of is that someone told you that when you were younger so you wouldn't be tempted to touch baby animals.

aruam365 24

This is actually true with some rodents I believe and other animals will abandon their young if they smell like a strange animal / person but for the most part that's an exception for mammals. Cats will NOT kill/eat their kittens if you touch them.

Sydney_rain 5

Actually, if the mother is wild and the kittens were just born and you touch the kittens, then the mother won't want anything to do with them. Speaking from experience.

I know being told the cat is spayed can give you a false sense of security, but... how did you not eventually notice the cat was pregnant? I mean.... swollen belly, exposed nipples, overly cuddly, increased appetite.... shoot i'd have taken her to the vet to check for worms just for the swollen belly even if i didn't think she was pregnant.

wyattb995 6

eat the cat sell the babies

Well on the plus side you have cute new kittens! Don't move the mom she is probably sore, and I don't recommend moving the kittens either. Sorry about your friend being a liar though... Perhaps the cat was pregnant before she got spayed? I would ask

If the cat was pregnant before she got spayed, they would have noticed and never would have spayed her. Her friend clearly lied.

If the cat was pregnant before spaying they would have notified the owner to make a choice - not spay or abort if she's very newly pregnant.

Spaying removes the cat's reproductive organs so she cannot have gotten or remained pregnant after spaying.

awwwww!!!! SWEEEET! ur cat is a **** :P