By jkl54 - 01/04/2009 00:07 - United States

Today, I went with my girlfriend to the mall. We were looking at jewellery in Zales and she came across the engagement rings. She looks at one and says, "Are you kidding me? That ring is hideous and it's the most expensive one here! Who the fuck would buy that?" Well, that would be me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 68 865
You deserved it 6 532

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Return and exchange! Choose one she liked! If she has to wear it her whole life it better be something she doesn't think is "hideous".

Comments

For the people saying to pay attention to her taste in jewelry, what if she doesn't wear any on a regular basis?

@12 Glad we got that out of the way. A little anecdote about women in general (stereotype alert)... most women don't have a preferred style when it comes to many things. As long as it's pretty they like it. Case in point was my girlfriend wanted chocolate one night so I asked her what kind. She told me to surprise her. Well needless to say by the time I was getting in my car to go the the store she hopped along for the ride. She picked out her own chocolate and still hated it. Now imagine if I picked it out. Women can be fickle and the best thing to do is find a ring you like (best is to take your SO with you) and then propose. If you picked it and she doesn't like it just return it with her and have her pick out something. I just state that if you believe you should know your SO jewelry selections before you get married is just plain wrong. Sometimes women don't even know what they want and you expect her BF or SO to know what she likes. As if...

dancing_bear 0

Hey, at least you know she's not just after material goods! And now you might have a better idea of the stuff she does like. Not such a big problem, just get a refund and buy another one.

honestly, the most expensive stuff usually isnt very attractive. Its just for people to be like "look at me a have a 5 carat diamond wooooooo." but really she will never know when you go and get a different ring

Haha, tell me about it. The really expensive stuff always seems to be encrusted with gems, & it's usually yellow gold which I absolutely loathe because I think it looks tacky. On the other hand, I've seen some absolutely lovely rings with just a solitaire diamond, or an unusual cut or gem, that have been over half the price of the expensive crap. No offense to anyone who wears or likes jewellery like this. I think it looks awful, but to each their own; I'm not passing any judgement on anyone.

you're gonna marry the girl and you don't even know what she doesn't like? gg, this marriage is gonna last.

Well...sometimes a woman thinks she doesn't like something and then ends up liking it...the only guideline I ever gave my (back then-)boyfriend was: yellow gold, NO DIAMONDS! Because I didn't want it to constantly be in the way...he didn't listen because he thought a ring like that wouldn't be good enough for me...so he got me a diamond ring, I don't know how much it cost and God I don't want to know...more than I ever would have let him spend if he had given me the choice. If anyone had randomly shown me my ring in a jewelery store I would have called it hideous too...but I ended up loving it...for one thing because HE picked it out all by himself that made it special...and because the reason for him choosing this particular ring was because he thought it would look great on my finger...and he was pretty damn right...I couldn't imagine a more perfect ring for me.

tokyooo123 0

lol #8, it's not like she already knew he bought it. It's just her opinion and OP, at least you know now and can exchange it. and everyone else saying he's stupid, not every guy has good taste in jewelery, actually few do because they think "the bigger and more colorful the better", but by no means does that condemn the marriage to failure...

fail_truck 0

lol @ #32. It wins the comment award.

Well then, my fiance should have a blast picking out a ring for me, seeing as I never wear jewelery. But I guess if he doesn't know what I like, that's his fault and the marriage won't last, right? :) #32- misanthrope or not, you're my hero.

Mooshki 0

Hey, at least you know she's not a gold digger.