By PoorCar - 20/09/2009 15:07 - United States

Today, I went on a trip to DC. When I got back I found out my car was stolen. Apparently they didn't know how to drive a stick because it was only 4 blocks from my house and the engine was blown. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 275
You deserved it 2 347

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Manual is the best way to go. I drive one and my whole family drives one. It's more fun and more economical. Automatic cars are boring and just put me to sleep... And dude, i'm from America, and we're not all fat. I've been stuck around 120 pounds for the past 5 years and i'm 20. And we're not all ignorant douchebags like we're made out to be... I personally don't think that America is "the greatest country on Earth", saying that is just plain ignorant. In some ways it's better than others, and in other ways it's worse then others. Look, I like America, but i'm not one of those people that gets a hard-on every time someone mentions it. And this is my first time replying to someone elses post so I hope I pressed the right reply button.

Comments

The thief didn't blow your engine, he just blew a tranny. Don't ask me how performing fellatio on a cross-dresser is bad for a car. It just is. (I'm going to keep using that joke when I see that same FML over and over again.)

If someone steals your car, they're probably not going to leave their name and number for you to call so they can pay to fix it. Buying a new engine for your car is just as expensive as buying a new car. And the engine CAN be busted, if they stayed in first the entire ride, the engine probably seized. Also, to WWII dude, all we did was come in at the last minute. Most of the war had been fought already. Since we sat on our laurels during the entire thing, when we finally entered we were more equipped to deal with stuff. Yeah, we helped and all, but we aren't the big glorious heroes that hollywood makes us out to be.

I seriously don't get why do so many people think it's "manly" to drive a manual transmission car. EVERYBODY drives one before there were automatic or when auto's still expensive,.So anybody can learn it if they want to, albeit tiring when traffic jam. And go ask any car enthusiast you know, semi-automatic is the shit now..

It's not that hard. Just push the clutch down, change gear with the palm of your hand, and let the clutch up slowly. You don't even need to push it all the way down. What you DO need to do is not touch the accelerator when changing gears or using the clutch. Now that criminal knows how to steal your car next time, if he's reading this.

Well.. clearly you don't drive stick and don't know how. Here are a few key differences between standard shift, auto, and "semi-auto" as you call them. 1) Clutch - this is probably the biggest reason why stick is still around, esp in autocross or rally. Letting the clutch slip is a very effective way of slowing the car down without losing grip. Unlike the brakes the motor is a much smoother way of taking power from the wheels, while simultaneously letting you quickly apply power when you reach the apex of a turn. 2) Weight - a manual transmission usually weighs 1/2 of an auto will weigh. loosing 100lbs in the engine bay will lead to noticeably better handling. 3) Durability - due to their simple designs standard transmissions require almost no maintenance and tend to last much longer than autos. 4) Less drive train loss - automatic transmissions steal more power from the engine leading to even worse performance. The simplicity of the stick is what makes it so desirable.

Also, my current car (VW CC 2.0T) has one of these new fangled semi-autos, a DSG. I have admit it shifts much faster than I ever could. But that only when it can predict what youre doing. And it can't skip shift.

how retarded. like 95% of people in the UK learn to drive in a manual car

You definately are doing it wrong if you don't touch the accelerator when you have the clutch depressed. You need to rev-match on downshifts; it makes the ride smoother, keeps you in the correct gear for best acceleration, and reduces transmission wear.

actually, it's 100%. I'f I'm recalling correctly, even if you want to drive an automatic car, you need to learn and pass your test in a manual. So no one in the UK should have an excuse on not knowing how to drive a manual.

So the Brits should be more effective at stealing cars without "blowing the engines". We'd probably have to take a poll of car thieves to tell for sure.

oystercultviking 0

You people have convinced me to get a standard. :) On a more serious note, that really sucks though OP. FYL because your theives were idiots.

that does suck, fyl. BUT u r lucky that they didnt get away with the car entirely. =)

This is the second "someone didn't know how to drive stick so they blew the engine" FML in a couple days. OP, you obviously don't know anything about "driving stick" if you think that there's something a driver can do with a manual transmission that can destroy an engine. And you're a man? Really? There are books available, typically written for women, that describe how mechanical things work. Find one and educate yourself. Until then, you have to change your gender to "woman" on this site.