By Anonymous - 25/08/2011 06:49 - United States

Today, I was the designated driver. On the way home with my drunk friends, they decide to give me a beer shower. I swerved, and was pulled over by a cop moments after. I was the only one arrested. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 134
You deserved it 3 486

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I would think the real problem wasn't the swerving or beer smell but rather the open container. I don't know about Florida but the states I've been don't allow alcohol to be open in the car.

Comments

RockstarRN 10

The bright side: you'll never have to be DD again!

perdix 29

You should have gotten drunk and taken a taxi. If you are willing to pay outrageously inflated prices to drink at a bar, you should be prepared to spend a little more to pay for a taxi.

OP didn't say he got arrested for DUI, it could've been for wreckless driving. He was swerving after being covered in beer.

stewpididiot 11

No good deed goes unpunished ..... How many warrants did you have ?

jerico616 14

First, how were you arrested? If you were SOBER you would have passed the breathalyzer. Second, you should really look into getting some new friends!

Let's see. Listerine has alcohol in it which can lessen the chances of you passing the breathalyzer. Some people have balance issues and may not have been able to pass the field sobriety test. Not all cops do a breathalyzer test, especially if you reek of alcohol. They kind of just assume... I've seen that happen at least in my city plenty of times. The open containers of alcohol may be a good qualifier for an arrest. The DD allowed his friends to still have beer in the car, whether he was drinking it or not. Whether it's actually illegal in OP's area or not, it's still a veeeerry bad idea.

you should have explained your situation to the cops then after punch your friends in the face

Perhaps you were pulled over for swerving... what was your reasoning for doing that? I can see pulling over, sure. But swerving is dangerous at the best of times and that probably wasn't a good call on your part.

RainbowHeadache 2

He swerved because his friends suddenly poured beer onto him. You would swerve too, I'm sure, if someone did that. He acknowledged that he was pulled over for swerving but I'm sure once the cop got to the window he smelled that OP reeked of beer & probably searched the car & found the open containers which gets him in trouble. Some cops just assume you're drunk & slap a ticket on you. He swerved, reeked of beer, had open containers, & possibly rowdy friends in the back seat. He shouldn't have let them have the beer in the car & that was his mistake. Being a DD is hard when the drunks act like 2 year olds & don't listen or do the complete opposite of what you ask.

It depends where the liquid fell, though. IMO if they just poured it over his shoulders and missed his face, there's no reason to swerve because you're still able to see. I realize the open containers were what got him into trouble... I've commented that very thing. I know some cops assume; I've commented on that too. I've seen it plenty of times around here, and I'm positive cops everywhere else do the same thing.

evalynmohr 9

Why would they get arrested? They weren't driving drunk. You don't get arrested for being drunk.

It's called having and open container in the vehicle. The driver is responsible for that so if he told the cop that they poured beer on him while he was driving he should be arrested.

I'm surprised at how long it took someone to realize this. It's the driver's responsibility to make sure nothing illegal is happening in the car. YDI. Btw the fml never mentions being arrested for DUI.

If you pass a breathalyzer then you won't be arrested. You must have drank. Or you were arrested for something you're aren't telling us about. Even open intox won't get you arrested, just a ticket.