By britchick95 - 10/10/2012 20:03 - United States - Grand Island

Today, I was loudly bitched out by someone for speaking in a fake British accent, to make myself "sound sophisticated". I moved here two years ago from London. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 758
You deserved it 2 210

britchick95 tells us more.

Can't say I've ever been to Ohio.

Top comments

Wow... If i was you I would have bitched right back at her in my "fake" accent.

You should sling some good British jargon at the bloody rube. That would make him feel like the dumbass he clearly is.

Comments

The same thing happened to me at a party (I'm a Brit in Canada). Some random girl came up to me and said "your accent would be so hot if it was real". I responded with "darling, your **** would be so hot if they were real..." Her face after was quality!

The person sounds jealous to me! Just ignore them. You know your accent isn't fake that's the main thing! Otherwise like the others suggest just give 'em an ear full in typical British ;)

X_Codes 11

Don't blame the person who bitched you out, blame all the hipsters that drove them to this point.

Psycho_Babydoll 26

That sucks. I don't have this problem...I'm English but I have this awkward mimic reaction to other accents... I can't help myself, but whenever I talk to someone with a different accent, I end up using the same one. My boyfriend is Canadian and he has never actually heard my real accent because of this stupid reflex I have. I remember going up to the North of England when I was small and a girl there thought I was local. The worst was meeting my dads Japanese friend...

Geometric 18

That's actually a recognised speech disorder, can't remember what it's called :)

Wow. I would punch em in the face and say "I MOVED HERE FROM LONDON DING DONG!!!" 

brittanyrmh_ 12

I often get bitched at for being too "Canadian". Well.. I *am* Canadian..

mvc3ftw 17

how can a canadian be "too canadian"?

This is why I wish I was from London...

No matter how stupid or ignorant someone might be, it is NEVER okay to call someone a c**t. Never. I'm not defending the dumb a** who called the OP's accent fake. I am, however, going to take a stand against sexist tools like you who think it's okay to call a woman, or anyone for that matter, such an obscene word. I'm sorry for the ignorance of some people, OP:( Just keep your head high and politely tell them to kindly f**k off:)

Ask them really obscure questions about Britain that only a true native would know. That'd prove your identity to them. Later, slap them with a noodle for being bitches. That is all.

Psycho_Babydoll 26

"Explain EastEnders. What was Woolworths? What are the chavs like here? Name the actors from OUR orginal version of The Inbetweeners." Yush, that'd work.

Oh god, don't mention Woolworths. I still haven't gotten over it shutting down.