By LawStudent - 19/09/2012 14:54 - United States - Indianapolis

Today, I was excited to get my first writing assignment since starting law school. I found out that I have to write a paper defending free speech. This wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have to defend the Westboro Baptist Church and if I weren't a former Marine. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 014
You deserved it 3 605

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Yeah, part of being a lawyer is finding ways to defend people who are the scum of the earth. That's why they make the big bucks

Comments

MissTimeLord 3

My town had to change the name of the baptist church because the name of my town is Westborough....

krs7g4 8

You mean the Westboro Baptist CULT? **** those sorry excuses for human beings.

It's a pretty good lesson to learn. You'll have to be able to argue in favor of lots of things as a lawyer, and you're not going to agree with all of them. Might as well get used to it now.

Isn't that kind of the point ? It blows, but you have to get used to "agreeing with" and arguing for people/groups who in your head you are mentally beating to death in the slowest way possible. Call it practice.

A true Marine understands that it is his duty and responsibility to give up some of his rights in order to ensure that every American has their rights protected, even if he doesn't agree with them.

That's how it is which is why I could never be a lawyer. I'd rather die than defend then.

aaahhhfire21 0

wow kinda ****** you on that one didn't they

elletex 8

I hope that when the members of WBC die, Saint Peter makes them picket outside the gates of heaven for eternity.

FALSE. Once a Marine, always a Marine. SEMPER FI

It's good to defend the side you aren't in favor of. You already know points of the argument you will face because of the opinion you hold. If you are too narrow minded to defend a point of view you do not agree with, drop out now and save yourself a lot of money. Law isn't for people who can't check their emotions.