By Anonymous - 09/12/2010 12:19 - Netherlands

Today, I wanted to send a birthday card. I kindly asked my boss for an envelope, and she asked me to pay for it. I've been working for her as an intern for over a year now, without receiving any money for it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 457
You deserved it 4 313

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Since you've been her intern for over a year now, I'm sure you know where the envelopes are. Live on the wild side... steal one.

envelopes don't just grow on trees you know..... oh wait.....

Comments

I can understand that you might have just wanted a favour off her, but it isn't her responsibility to provide you with things like that. It's probably company policy to pay for things such as envelopes that get used for personal things. I can't imagine one envelope costs that much either.

from the sounds of it, he works for free and I don't think OP's boss wants change lol

I never said she did. My point was that if she gives the OP one for free, either she'd have to pay for it, or get the OP to do so. And it was the OP's choice to intern for free, so he shouldn't start feeling too hard done by, it was his choice.

hmm but don't the cards come with envelopes I fail to see why they would need the envelope and I also fail to see how OP has any dispoable income working for free

I imagined the OP was a student who needed to do an internship for their course or something (thought that makes no sense to me because the kind of internships I would do as part of mine I'd get paid for, but I guess it might be different in different places). Also, it might be a handmade card which could explain why he doesn't have an envelope. Or he might just want a more normal looking envelope so the post people won't open it thinking it'll have money inside it...

Chaos I did say that I could understand that the OP just wanted a favour off their boss, I was just outlining why the boss might not want to give it without making her a bitch. And yes, the boss might just be a bitch, but surely the OP would've known that before now having worked with her for a year.

Well, I guess it depends how tight the company is about keeping track of those kind of things and what happens when some are 'lost'.

OBJECTION! although cinn to open other peoples mail is against the pirvacy act and is highly unlawful. lol sorry wanted a reason to shout objection ^~^

I know it's illegal, but I know quite a few people who've had birthday cards get lost in the mail, and various other things that include money, or have a higher potential to contain money or various things of value. It doesn't always happen, but it does as well.

perdix 29

Considering you've been working for free for a year, she's figured that your services aren't even worth the price of an envelope. I wouldn't be surprised if they started charging you rent for your cubicle and a fee for bathroom visits.

....Trying to figure out how someone has the birthday card but not the envelope.... Using company supplies for personal use is theft. She's actually trying to set a good example for you. Given that you provided her value for a year at no cost, she should have elected to offer to bring you an envelope from home. That she didn't just makes her cheap, which is a very ugly personality characteristic.

This couuntry sucks because they call an internship what is slave labor by definition

Uh, no, it isn't. It's an education. It's getting valuable job experience before you actually graduate and enter the workforce.

ya I'm sure that's what they said to the slaves. graduate what sir life you will have to be gods butlers!

RedPillSucks 31
Dr_Pepper_fml 3

Dude, you have no idea what you're talking about. 1. by definition, your "slave labor" would include everyday volunteer work. 2. the OP CHOSE to be an intern. It's true that individuals will sometimes sell themselves into slavery (think worldwide, not in the States) to pay debts (of which, the OP had none), but otherwise, slaves, especially in the context of America's history with them, are sold against their will.

ulicksam 0

Who cares how long you've worked for her. Buy your own envelopes. If you don't like the work and pay, find another job.

YDI because if you're complaining about not getting paid, go cry to your boss about it.

It's not like you require an envelope made out of gold, do you? Just buy one, they cost like 2-3 cents, I guess.

steal one, and u shouldn't get paid Ur an intern

Sounds like someone feels a bit entitled. "I worked for you for a year, now I deserve an envelope for free!" Those envelopes belong to your boss; she can charge if she wants to.

Garytt 0

what does an intern get out it?

Interns work for the experience. Most colleges require that you get an internship before you can graduate. You can still do it when you're out of school, if you want to stay on top of your skills and acquire new ones. Sometimes people end up getting hired by the company that gave them the internship.

In America at least, that is the principle. I'm being paid a decent salary to do the lowly 'experience' type work I know I need to get a decent job after my degree in the UK. My friend however (who laughingly pitied me for getting a 2:1 when she got a first), is doing the same thing for free as an 'intern'. The other difference between my work and hers? I get proper responsibilities and credit, whilst she is doing the drone work they can't afford to pay someone to do, with zero real experience. The name 'intern' in frequently abused in this country.