By Orchard - 16/07/2013 17:25 - United States - Seminole

Today, I suddenly started having excruciating pain. My husband took me to the ER, where I waited for three hours in agony to be seen. By the time a doctor got to me, the pain had mostly gone, but it was found to be a kidney stone. I was told, "Next time, don't wait so long." Really? FML
I agree, your life sucks 49 709
You deserved it 3 041

Orchard tells us more.

Hi, this is the OP. I told them in triage with tears streaming down my face that I thought it was a kidney stone. I was in so much pain I could barely fill out the forms. There were only a couple of possibilities as to the source of pain to begin with since the pain was all down my left flank and upper left quadrant. I have medical training so I wasn't too shocked to find out it was a kidney stone. What was shocking was they thought I was faking to get a drug fix, put me on the back burner, then acted like it was somehow my fault for not being seen sooner so they could help manage the pain.

Top comments

That's when you start screaming in agony so loud until they're forced to see you. Honestly if the pain was seriously that bad that's exactly what I would do. I hate how the ER treats people with real emergencies. I'd make them suffer with me.

This is why emergency rooms shouldn't keep people waiting for hours.. IT'S A ******* EMERCENCY Hypocrites

Comments

Wizardo 33

You should report the hospital and the doctors to some kind of performance or regulation authority so they can investigate what's up with this sorry excuse of a medical centre.

Yeah, my husband and I were wondering about that. My uncle is a doctor, I will ask him because, like most doctors, he's been sued plenty, hahaha, and would be able to tell me what to do. I was pre-med myself until I got sick with lupus and it's been nothing but one medical nightmare after another. Now I can't stand doctors. It really makes me sad because I used to think doctors had compassion for their patients, and now I'm learning that's not really the case..

unfortunately OP, I dated a med student once and he said that one thing that was unfortunately inevitable was him losing his compassion - doctors (not GPs, but certainly ones in hospitals and ERs) have to face pain and death every day as part of their job, and after some time they just become desensitised to it. Sorry about the way you were treated though, you should definitely at least make a complaint.

I'm actually terrified of doctors, I can't explain it. Ever since I was little, would get hysterical, screaming and crying at the thought having to see the doctor. Even as an adult I'll often have a panic attack at the thought of having to go to the doctor. It's horrible, I'm pretty sure I have a phobia.

I've only been to the ER once, but I was lucky to get seen quickly because there weren't many other people there and I had blood pouring down my face. Still not a hospital I would want to get admitted to- they couldn't even decide if my nose was broken or not!

I really think they thought I was a junkie; I called my primary doctor and told them what happened. They said that a lot of drug addicts hang out around that hospital so they weren't surprised I was ignored.

That's why we have a place called the urgency room. Max wait is 5 minutes.

I can definitely empathize with you on this one. I once had went to the ER with severe head pain lasting days and eventually and double vision (at which point I went, stupidly after waiting so long.) The doctor told me that I was overreacting to a minor migraine, told me to stop crying because I was upset, and when my mother (I was incoherent at the time) demanded to speak to the person in charge, they paled and rushed me to an MRI, where they found out I had idiopathic intercranial hypertension, and if it had gone untreated for hours more, I would have gone blind. We reported the doctor to his superiors; I honestly have no idea what happened. I do know that when I was presented at the hospital as a good example of the condition, the doctor physically hid from me. Nevertheless, being mistreated at hospitals because you could possibly be a drug addict is wrong. I understand that tests cost money, but being left in waiting rooms for hours or not receiving care simply because there are drug seekers out there... It's wrong.

LtBrenton 16

Notalwaysworking by any chance? :P

What a dick! Did you bite the doctor's head off for treating you like that ? You're in unbearable pain for a threatening situation and did what you were suppose to and he had the nerve to scold you for it? Mannnnn if that was me, I bet he would he would think twice before he scolded the next patient for something like that. Totally not cool.

Oh!!! I feel your pain! I was 16 and had kidney stones. ( It's genetic in my family of getting them) I had to wait about two hours with the nurses asking the same question over and over again. Rating my pain to 1-10. I always scream ten since it hurt like hell. :/ They gave me a shot in the butt to help with the pain and cat scan to tell me it was kidney stones. It was a nightmare...

crisanba 18

I woulda freaked on this mofo

I went to the ER once when I got poisoned. I was straight legit dying. Trying to be patient we gently reminded the nurses of this fact and they were like 'we'll get to you!' Fortunately, my ER doctor was awesome and saved my life. But some ER staff can be some of the most arrogant people I've ever met.

I went to UC last tear after four days of excruciating internal stomach pain (I had a doctors appointment but they couldn't fit me in until the next day) and waking up to my belly button oozing blood and pus. The UC doctor was freaked out, said I had a serious internal infection, and wanted me to go to the ER in an ambulance but I declined because of what it would cost and my mom drove me. I ended up waiting in the ER for NINE hours only to be told it was a surface infection and given oral antibiotics (when I should have been addmited and given intravenous antibiotics). I was also practically yelled at for being dehydrated even though I was told not to eat or drink anything until I was seen by the ER doctor. Yeah and this was the GOOD hospital in my area that hasn't infected three people with flesh eating bacteria in the last two years. I completely sympathize with you. :(

I made a lot of mistakes writing this but it timed out on me as I was correcting them. Oh well.