By Orchard - 16/07/2013 17:25 - United States - Seminole

Today, I suddenly started having excruciating pain. My husband took me to the ER, where I waited for three hours in agony to be seen. By the time a doctor got to me, the pain had mostly gone, but it was found to be a kidney stone. I was told, "Next time, don't wait so long." Really? FML
I agree, your life sucks 49 709
You deserved it 3 041

Orchard tells us more.

Hi, this is the OP. I told them in triage with tears streaming down my face that I thought it was a kidney stone. I was in so much pain I could barely fill out the forms. There were only a couple of possibilities as to the source of pain to begin with since the pain was all down my left flank and upper left quadrant. I have medical training so I wasn't too shocked to find out it was a kidney stone. What was shocking was they thought I was faking to get a drug fix, put me on the back burner, then acted like it was somehow my fault for not being seen sooner so they could help manage the pain.

Top comments

That's when you start screaming in agony so loud until they're forced to see you. Honestly if the pain was seriously that bad that's exactly what I would do. I hate how the ER treats people with real emergencies. I'd make them suffer with me.

This is why emergency rooms shouldn't keep people waiting for hours.. IT'S A ******* EMERCENCY Hypocrites

Comments

I happened to get testicular torsion (one or both testicles get twisted and loose circulation and will stop functioning altogether within 1-3 hours. In my case the left one twisted 360 degrees.) I sat in the waiting room for the ER (who knew there was a wait for the ER.) for 45 minutes puking because of the massive amounts of pain before the made me walk to my room and change into a robe and then look at and prod my sack for 15 minutes before giving me some morphine to get rid of the pain. Luckily they fixed it and I got to keep it.

One time I fell on my hand and my finger was twisted in the opposite direction. I went to the ER and had to sit for about an hour and a half before I was treated. It was the longest hour ever. Incredibly painful.

This happen to me once and I waited at the hospital for 6 hours by then the kidney stone have passed on its own I know how you feel

At our local hospital, you WILL NOT be looked at until 6 hours has gone by. Even if their is no one there and doctors available, you have to wait.

I feel you: When you're in pain it's a long wait. But it could have been worse, too. I am typing this from a hospital bed after finally getting my extremely infected appendix removed after a 26 hour wait. Yeah, it sucks but some people are in life threatening situations. Your Dr was out of line tho!

Ouch, I know the feeling :( And Kidney stones are extremely painful... Thank god you're not in Quebec, average wait in the ER waiting room is 6 to 8 hours. :

Drink more water. Too much protein + Not enough water= Kidney stones

The problem with ERs is that you have people in there that are there for minor things.

I can sympathize for other reasons. A little over a year ago now, I had gallstones so bad that my doctors were confused as to how I was still able to process the bile. I went into the ER with intense pain from and they took me in after 2-3 hours and immediately gave me anti-inflammatory meds. When they gave me an ultrasound to check my gallbladder, they accused me of faking it for meds. Later that night, my pain came back. and worse. I went right back to the hospital the next day and told them to not give me any anti-inflammatory meds until after my ultrasound. When asked why I said that, I explained what happened. Needless to say, my doctor was pretty upset to see how infected my gallbladder was and that it wasn't diagnosed the day before. He also informed me how lucky I was and said that if I had waited another day to come back, I would have died. 9 days later, I left the hospital after surgery to get my gallbladder removed. I'm so sorry you had to go through what you did, OP. But, keep in mind, doctors are only human and all humans make mistakes. Just feel grateful that your doctor's mistake didn't almost cost you your life like mine did.