By Orchard - 16/07/2013 17:25 - United States - Seminole

Today, I suddenly started having excruciating pain. My husband took me to the ER, where I waited for three hours in agony to be seen. By the time a doctor got to me, the pain had mostly gone, but it was found to be a kidney stone. I was told, "Next time, don't wait so long." Really? FML
I agree, your life sucks 49 709
You deserved it 3 041

Orchard tells us more.

Hi, this is the OP. I told them in triage with tears streaming down my face that I thought it was a kidney stone. I was in so much pain I could barely fill out the forms. There were only a couple of possibilities as to the source of pain to begin with since the pain was all down my left flank and upper left quadrant. I have medical training so I wasn't too shocked to find out it was a kidney stone. What was shocking was they thought I was faking to get a drug fix, put me on the back burner, then acted like it was somehow my fault for not being seen sooner so they could help manage the pain.

Top comments

That's when you start screaming in agony so loud until they're forced to see you. Honestly if the pain was seriously that bad that's exactly what I would do. I hate how the ER treats people with real emergencies. I'd make them suffer with me.

This is why emergency rooms shouldn't keep people waiting for hours.. IT'S A ******* EMERCENCY Hypocrites

Comments

It was shitty for the doctor to say something like that to you, op; I'm sorry :( As for everyone complaining about their own wait times, don't get mad at hospital staff, get mad at the idiots who go to the ER every time they stub their toe. My sister-in-law seriously takes her daughter to the ER every time she has a fever for more than 24 hours. She goes herself if she has an extra bad headache. Hate people like that, not the poor ER staff who generally are just doing their best to get through patients.

The only time I went to A&E was when I had an allergic reaction to medicine and they treated it fairly quickly but then I had to wait around for hours while I was kept in for observation which was the real problem.

Don't know about the USA, but here in belgium, you better call an ambulance when in an emergency. Yes, you'll have to wait for it, but at least you're helped immediately when you get to the hospital. When you go by yourself, or someone brings you, you usually have to wait a considerable amount of time before you can actually see a doctor.

In Canada (at least in my province) we have extremely expensive fees on ambulances. We're talking like $800!

Down where I am in Ontario it's $45 so unfortunately not even the people brought in by ambulance are seen very quickly because of people abusing the system

xAkonz 10

It makes sense when you notice that she lives in the United States…

Sounds exactly like the hospital where I'm from! No help at all

Well don't wait so long jk your life sucks

I would definitely report them for that. I ended up getting cellulitis on the back of my neck from a spider bite early last year, and it took three visits to the ER to get a good doctor that ordered a CAT scan of it. The first doctor called it a lypoma the first visit, cut it open, and packed it to drain. The second visit (two days later) it was twice the original size and a ton of this ugly, pus colored fluid oozing out all over the place when I gently squeezed it. Even after that, the doctor still wasn't worried, and ordered me bactrim. The third time, I finally got the good doctor, whom was really concerned at the size of it, and ordered me a CAT scan that confirmed it as cellulitis. Clear down inside of several layers of muscle tissue. Ended up being admitted for three days while they pumped me full of antibiotics. Came home with Cipro to finish the infection off. The doctor said I wasn't very far from meningitis, since it was so close to my spinal cord. The hospital where I live is an absolute joke though. A lot of the doctors are horrible, and are lucky that people need to sign a malpractice liability release form.

Plus, I had to wait a minimum of three hours each time, when I had VERY obvious, massive swelling maybe an inch from my spinal cord.

Reach up and punch him in the nose and say to him as he sits on his ass on the floor "Now be sure to get treatment for that nose right away you hear?"