By Orchard - 16/07/2013 17:25 - United States - Seminole

Today, I suddenly started having excruciating pain. My husband took me to the ER, where I waited for three hours in agony to be seen. By the time a doctor got to me, the pain had mostly gone, but it was found to be a kidney stone. I was told, "Next time, don't wait so long." Really? FML
I agree, your life sucks 49 707
You deserved it 3 041

Orchard tells us more.

Hi, this is the OP. I told them in triage with tears streaming down my face that I thought it was a kidney stone. I was in so much pain I could barely fill out the forms. There were only a couple of possibilities as to the source of pain to begin with since the pain was all down my left flank and upper left quadrant. I have medical training so I wasn't too shocked to find out it was a kidney stone. What was shocking was they thought I was faking to get a drug fix, put me on the back burner, then acted like it was somehow my fault for not being seen sooner so they could help manage the pain.

Top comments

That's when you start screaming in agony so loud until they're forced to see you. Honestly if the pain was seriously that bad that's exactly what I would do. I hate how the ER treats people with real emergencies. I'd make them suffer with me.

This is why emergency rooms shouldn't keep people waiting for hours.. IT'S A ******* EMERCENCY Hypocrites

Comments

Now you know which hospital not to go to in an emergency

Exactly, it's worth the extra 15-20 minute drive to the other side of town if I ever need help again. I will never go there again

depending on your regions ems protocols and management, might have been logical to call an ambulance. I've given a few pts with suspected kidney stones morphine enroute to the er.

Wowxoxo 17

I used to work for a hospital as an EMT and they triage people, apparently you just happened to not be a critical patient. Your excruciating pain may have been held up by car crash, heart attack, stroke, and trauma patients. Regardless, fyl OP..

CharresBarkrey 15

Glad to see someone on here has some common sense. Kidney stones have a specific set of symptoms that can rule out other serious issues, and honestly they aren't that much of an emergency.

@Charres, you kinda missed the point of my FML, buddy. I know kidney stones aren't *typically* life threatening, but when you don't know what's happening to your body, and are forced to wait hours only to have a medical professional chastise you for "waiting so long" when it wasn't up to you, then you have an FML on your hands. That was my point, if the doc had been kind or showed any amount of human decency rather than blame for something out of my control, then there isn't a problem now is there? If you had read any of my previous comments, you would know that. And as a medical professional myself (CST and former pre-med student) I know what to expect in an ER. Waiting, sure. Undue ugliness toward a patient, no.

Sigh, unless you're on the floor bleeding and half way dead the ER aint gonna do crap.

3 hours? You're lucky, every time I go to the ER I wait about 6-7 hours

audreyfml1994 15

To all of the people from the US discussing their previous experiences with long waits in hospitals, just wait until Obama Care is fully implemented-you haven't seen anything yet. The majority of people complaining about the 8+ hour waits are all from the UK or Canada, and that is exactly the direction the US is moving.

CetaBabe 17

I've been in the Accident and Emergency room with a swollen neck and inability to breath properly (Every breath was incredibly painful and made the swelling worse) and still had to wait over 4 hours - yet been in with a broken finger and been in and out in 30 minutes. Sometimes it's just hell to get seen.

I posted this FML not so much to complain about how long I had to wait, but for the fact that the doctor actually scolded me and made it my fault that they couldn't treat me for my pain, even though I wasted no time getting to the hospital... The treatment I received from that hospital staff was awful

Seems like the doctor realized they f*ed up, and rather than admit it, turned it around and blamed you just to make himself feel better.

olpally 32

Damn, I had to wait 13 hours for a doctor to operate on me for appendicitis... I know the feeling. Ugh. That's what you call a Doctor douche bag.

Jeez I'm glad you didn't die; appendicitis can be life-threatening, that's ridiculous

olpally 32

No kidding.. :/ got a 27 staple scar to prove it. Glad you're okay op! :)

cottoncandymango 17

How in the world were you supposed to know that it was a kidney stone? Damn doctor.

Next time you go the ER, just walk in and fall flat on the floor and start shaking violently. I'm sure they will get you in quicker OP.

In my experience, the best way to get seen quickly is to have a visible, gory wound. When I split my big toe with a knife, I never even touched a chair =P

i had a kidney stone back in march and it was extremely painful, i can completely understand where you are coming from, my pain actually subsided by the time i got to the ER, it was a really tiny one but it was the most painful thing i have felt in recent memory

football98_fml 20

well, dont take so long then damnit