By Anonymous - 24/03/2012 02:39 - United States - Fredericksburg

Today, I received my first payment of child support from my estranged husband: $50 and a note that said he wouldn't be paying any more. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 138
You deserved it 3 764

Same thing different taste

Top comments

you should petition the court to obtain his balls.

cjcstuart 7

At least he payed something:/ my dad never paid:/

Comments

I'm sorry you slept with him :/ Hopefully someday you meet a man who actually wants to be a father to your children, it isn't always about the blood :) Also (depending on your situation of course) you could count yourself lucky that you aren't bound to that loser anymore. I'm also sorry that parents abandoning their children is such a norm now...

I bet OP isn't sorry she slept with him. I'm sure she still views her child as a blessing, and would rather still have her child than to have not slept with him...

Sorry she slept with her husband? Did you think at all before making that comment? Something along the lines of "Sorry he turned out to be irresonsible" would be more appropriate.

Considering they're still married, technically she is still "bound to that loser", at least in a legal sense. I feel sorry for you and anyone else living in your messed up world because where I'm from, abandoning children is not and has never been a norm.

At the risk of offending you people yet again, I'd rather NOT have kids if the chances of them being able to eat are even partially dependent on a man like that...

agreed. my father was tens of thousands of miles away and still paid his child support, twice monthly, never even a day late. there are gentlemen left, you just gotta find the right one.

FYL for having to deal with such a spineless man, that would turn his back on his own child/children. But not paying child support is a federal crime. The money is owed to your children. There are ways to even dock his paycheck. And back pay will still added up. He's just digging himself in his own grave and probably doesn't realize he's destroying his relationship with his children.

TheDrifter 23

Chances are he's never going to be allowed to see them without his ex wife present, so attempting a relationship is moot. Best course of action is to quit his job, get something part time at minimum wage and request a child support hearing. That sets the rate at a minimum, then miss one, and only one, payment and get a better job. That allows you to argue that you still can barely afford the payments, leaving the father free to pursue a life of his own and encouraging the mother to support her "choice" instead of forcing him to. It may seem evil, but its this or never being able to have a life of his own again.

giggleprincess 0

This happened to me. My mother left, didn't pay child support for a few years, ended up owing my family a few thousand. And to top it off, we get $50 to split between three kids every month.

I agree with you 36, but I've only met a couple people whose fathers stuck around at all, child support or no. You can understand why people tend to become biased when so many men have a tendency to run away when things get scary. I did meet one guy who was a single father... It was actually quite attractive even though I don't want kids :S

43. sounds like you're hanging out with the wrong people :/ all the people I know who are fathers are good, dependable fathers who are always there for their children....and I thought most of my friends were shotty....

Airman1988 9

I understand what your saying 43 and it does make it hard but it just gets old, as one of the good fathers ,to see women dissing men and fathers in general in all social networks, I dont like to see men do it either. I honestly think that a lot of the states have the system set up to make fathers feel worthless beyond a support check and indirectly promote poor fathers themselves. It's an absolute nightmare for good fathers to fight vindictive mothers in court for their children and rights. It only goes smoothly when the mother wants the children in their father's life. its one area where the system is ridiculously biased in favor of the mother.

Tell him if he doesn't pay child support you will bring it to the courts and force it apon him. He is the father of your child (or children) and has a resposibility to them. Even if he doesn't want to pay you can legally force him to. Unless you don't want to deal with this crap then I'd suggest completely cutting him out of your life and our of your child's. That is what my mother did with my brother and I, and we couldn't be happier for her for keeping our abusive father out of our lives.

afallingstar 22

Sounds like my ex...he doesn't want to pay anything either

I think it is unfair for everyone to be generalizing all fathers. My dad divorced my mom and he paid all the way through college for me to go to a decent school. I don't know your monetary situation Op but $50 bucks does not seem like a lot of child support. How much money does your ex-husband make? I know he is responsible for the children but if all he is paying a month is $50 dollars and he is not doing well financially maybe that is the reason. I know the money would add up some parents I know pay close to $500 a month for their kids in Child Support. If you can afford to not take the money then cut off contact with him. If you are in dire need then take him to court. Either way, don't make this situation about your past together unless relevant to the case at hand. It is about what he legally owes your child, not about what happened between you two. I say this only because I was one of those kids who had to constantly listen to their parents talking shit about one another. Just advice in general, don't make your kids spy/listen to you yell about their father and owed child support.