By Purple-jacket - 10/04/2019 04:00

Today, I graduated with a CS degree and a certification in networking, only to make $12/hr. Guess some trade jobs are worthless now. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 849
You deserved it 334

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Amanda G Rich 23

It's really experience based, as a 3 time certified welder, I still don't get paid more than 15 an hour. So hang in there, you'll get paid your worth later on

It's all about experience. A CS degree basically gets you past the arbitrary gate that some companies throw up. I have friends who are absolutely the top of their game with decades of experience, but had to go out and get degrees because some wanker HR person decided it was necessary. When I was hiring IT, I completely disregarded degrees/certifications and asked "what have you done?"

Comments

Amanda G Rich 23

It's really experience based, as a 3 time certified welder, I still don't get paid more than 15 an hour. So hang in there, you'll get paid your worth later on

manb91uk 22

Yay! America is Great Agai... Oh wait...

How is Network Admin considered a trade job? You can't barely get a foot in the door without a bachelors anymore. Also, if its hourly pay, kudos to you. Usually companies shaft you with salary pay while working the dog shit outta you.

What? You can track everyone’s web searches and emails, and can use that to make a little cash with blackmail. You can also be stealing user data and passwords, and that should allow you to pay yourself whatever you want

Susan Yee 9

Work hard, finish projects on time, be on your manager/boss’s side. You will get promoted/paid more eventually. My husband only has CS degree. He worked as a $8/hr university student worker ~15 years ago. Now he is an Assistant Director, makes almost $100k salary.

My team is always looking for young people with IT backgrounds to develop. Keep looking, and keep moving, if it means more $$

bloopaloop 27

Learn to use a lathe. Totally worth it

Then you live in the wrong area for that training. In Seattle or Silicon Valley you’d be making $80-$100k no problem. (But of course your rent would nice and high to go along with it)

It's all about experience. A CS degree basically gets you past the arbitrary gate that some companies throw up. I have friends who are absolutely the top of their game with decades of experience, but had to go out and get degrees because some wanker HR person decided it was necessary. When I was hiring IT, I completely disregarded degrees/certifications and asked "what have you done?"

this world is changing quickly now based on what you can actually do than a piece of paper saying that you can do it.

With an electrical engineering degree, I started at $65000/year. After showing I'm not a dumbass, I moved to over $110000/year in 3 years. Prove your worth, go above and beyond, and make yourself a needed asset and you'll be paid what you're worth.