By Silver_Jet - 30/08/2015 14:09 - Canada - Beamsville

Today, I realized I could make more money being on welfare than I can at my current job. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 533
You deserved it 2 276

Silver_Jet tells us more.

Op here didn't login to post because I didn't think it would get published. I want to clarify a few things. #1 I'm not on welfare. #2 I work part time but my employer doesn't want me to get another job. #3 I work overnight shifts for below minimum wage. #4 I needed a college diploma to get this job.

Top comments

At least you have a job. A lot of people can't say that.

carlfirebolt 27

I mean you should feel proud earning that money.

Comments

It's something to put down on the CV/resume as experience when you go out and look for a better job in the future

So have a lot of other people. They're on welfare now.

It's unbalanced matters, should be improved.

Same here, but being a guy its harder to get on it.

outfielder55 17

Op here didn't login to post because I didn't think it would get published. I want to clarify a few things. #1 I'm not on welfare. #2 I work part time but my employer doesn't want me to get another job. #3 I work overnight shifts for below minimum wage. #4 I needed a college diploma to get this job.

Wow, that sucks. Try to find a full time job. Once you find one, tell your boss if he wants the next person filling your position to stay he should treat them better.

OP, don't take that shit. If you want another job, ignore the current employer - if he fires you so be it. No one should EVER work for less than minimum wage - it's there for a reason.

Of course he doesn't want you to find another job!!! He has help and doesn't pay minimum wage for it!! It's also strange that you're paid that poorly as an overnight shift worker. Usually those guys are paid more. Get out of there, OP. Your boss is your boss, but he doesn't rule your life.

How does your boss get away with paying you less than minimum wage?

PrincessPan 17

All I can think of is that OP has a job at a 24/7 diner, but if that's the case you shouldn't need a college degree. Sorry OP :/ I would definitely look into getting a full-time job with benefits elsewhere and telling your manager to pound sand.

#90 In my country there's a loophole made by signing other kind of contract than just contract of employmen (order contract). OP i hope you are looking hard for another job, because this one is just a joke, your boss is a cheapskatee.

Can't pay you lower then minimum wage. That is the law. He is doing that illegally. This is why there is a minimum wage.

If you are truly making below minimum you need to report it and sue for lost wages.

It is illegal for them to pay you below minimum wage. Take them to the Ontario labour board.

in the states there is a problem getting off welfare the safety net provides just enough to get by but it's actually worth quite a bit so in order to do as well with a job you have to get a pretty good job because now you're paying for Medical all your housing you get food stamps and WIC so going from welfare to a $10 an hour job is a big step down

cheshireau 26

I realized that once, but also, I was lucky to have a job.

moo77_fml 20

And become a bum like all the others in welfare lol

I absolutely hate this stereotype. Not everyone on welfare is, as you put it, a bum. Some are on it for health reasons, some are on it while they look for a decent job and some, like myself, are on it while undertaking study at a university level. Not everyone is out to milk the system.

Wow, I never knew my friend who is working as a cashier at Walmart and is on Welfare since her pay is so shitty, is actually lying about having a job even though I have been at that Walmart and have been rung out by her. Seriously, I suggest you educate yourself. Only a tiny minority of people on Welfare are just milking the system. The majority of people are workers who hardly make anything, disabled people who can't work because the disability is severe, and children.

I was on income assistance for over a year after hospitalization and it helped me get back on my feet. I'm still disabled and poor but I'm working and doing better than I was. Most people who access government assistance do so temporarily, and those who are on it permanently are usually accessing it because of disability or other extenuating circumstances.

My household has gone from 2 incomes to 1 income because it cost me more to pay for daycare for my kids than I was earning. The most ridiculous thing I've ever had to say to anyone is that I'm unemployed because I can't afford to work. The worst part is, we really need a second income.

My family is in the same position. I have a college degree that I can't use because my pay check would not cover the cost of child care. My husband works and I'm a stay at home mom. It saves us about $45,000 a year since we have our 2 kids and then custody of 5 other children that belonged to a family member. I wouldn't even make $45,000 in a year. It's kinda screwed up.

This is the exact reason my husband and I haven't had any kids yet. We need 2 incomes because of my student loans and the cost of housing, but the cost of child care is outrageous. We literally cannot afford to have children

Have you considered running a daycare from your home? I got hurt at work one day and I lost the use of my right arm (I'm right handed) and needed physio, so had to pull my son from daycare cuz we couldn't afford to pay for it and me not able to work, for us it was honestly the best thing ever cuz I didn't realize how miserable I was and how much happier I was being home and taking care of other people's kids (as the 10 month old I have is screaming in the other room cuz he doesn't want to go for a nap but is so tired that he's screaming lol) this way I'm also home with my son, I take him to school & pick him up, an I get to do what makes me happy.

I feel bad for how easy my life is. Maybe I should get my hubby to read these so he can stop bitching about his realitivly easy work load and awesome paycheck.