By irony - 25/02/2016 15:08 - United States - Louisville

Today, I have to attend a mandatory parenting class due to a false report filed against me with CPS. My son's school play is at the same time as today's class, and I'll have to miss it so I can learn how to be a "better mom". FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 754
You deserved it 1 787

Same thing different taste

Top comments

"Step 1 to being a better parent: Be there for your child, e.g. School plays!!"

OptimusSlime 23

Thats unfortunate, hopefully you could get someone to record it for you, assuming it hasn't already ended

Comments

I work with children and it's my job to record and report everything I see with regards to their welfare and safety. I have called CPS (or at least our version) at least 5 times due to concerns. Not because I'm a nosy interfering busybody but because I am legally obligated to report any concerns, however small. On each one of those occasions, an investigation was carried out and recommendations made to the parents. Two children were registered 'at risk' ( it just means they have to be monitored closely) and one child was removed from his mother's care. The reason you never hear about the good job these guys do is because reporting 'social worker does job well; children safe' doesn't make a good headline. I promise you all that for every 50 good decisions, a bad one is made. These people are human; they make mistakes. The system isn't perfect and unfortunately some children fall through the cracks but it's all we have. I'm sorry about your situation OP, but if they are making you attend a parenting class, they must have found something - however minor - that concerns them. Hopefully you get it resolved soon.

Everyone is assuming OP does not need the parenting classes. They might actually need them and be in denial. They might also be the typical abusive parent that thinks they have the right to treat kids like shit

Exactly! And even if the claim is unfounded does it really hurt you to take a parenting class? Instead of complaining about having to go to the class try to make sure you learn something that could help you be a better parent.

#54, the thing is that they are teaching her "to be a better parent" while forcing her to miss seeing her son perform in a play. From personal experience, kids get really upset when parents miss big stuff like that.

BloodyGlass 10

And this is why I hate CPS. I called them to look in on my sister when my father disowned me and threw me out of the house, because I myself had suffered from his mental/emotional/verbal abuse, as well as his tendencies to forget to get food/clothing for my siblings and I (I went almost a whole winter without a winter coat because I "didn't need it.") Their response when I said he may be starving and neglecting my then 8 year old sister like he had done so to my brother and I? "We'll look into it when we can." They never did, I called back several times, got hung up on twice, and I was seeing red. Thankfully, he threw her out when she turned 12 and she's now living in a happy home with our half-sister, and I can talk to her again. I know she's recovering from his abuse and she's going to be fine. So yeah, thanks for nothing, CPS of Ohio.

It's truly awful. They always seem to check in on the false cases rather than the legitimate ones. It's almost like the intentionally want to **** people over.

Can you clarify what the false report was?

that is evil whoever sent the false report needs to have repercussions

I don't see any irony in that *walks into ironing board*

abbynrick4ever 8

that sucks im sorry i know how it feels to have them involved for no reason my aunt was pissed at me and wanted to get back at me so she called claiming i neglected my daughter obviously i didnt but my bf of 2 yrs had just gone 2 prison so i was tryin to find a place to stay and they took her of course i ALWAYS made sure she had a roof over her head and a bed to sleep in ect.. but that didnt matter obviously their very good at bullying u and making u feel like crap when uve done nothing wrong hope everything works out!

your bf is in prison and you're homeless? that sounds like a perfectly acceptable reason to take your child away. one of the basic needs of a child is shelter. you can't provide that, they go to someone who can.

Considering she's able to go on the site and comment I'm sure she has a house. She probably was staying with a family member and was looking for a place to live on her own with her daughter.

I missed this one especially to comment. tell them to reschedule it. if they say they can't tell them you have a right to a private family life and enjoying benefits such as school plays. they can reschedule it they are lying if they say otherwise

FenderM 5

Why do you have to take a class if the report is unwarranted? I've had a vengeful ex and unwarranted reports before - if the case is not warranted, it's just closed, in my experience.

That really sucks OP. I know that feel. Some douche nozzle of a kid filed a false CPS report on my parents and the whole visit traumatized my two younger sisters. The police and the Social Worker came to our door and my sisters thought our parents were going to be taken away. Will the person who filed the false report get any charges filed against him? That's really serious shit.