By FallingNinjaa - 02/05/2014 00:07 - United States - Tampa

Today, I had to once again lie to a customer about why I was the only one manning the shop, saying that they must have run out for lunch - my coworkers were too busy getting stoned in their cars to do their job. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 502
You deserved it 5 244

FallingNinjaa tells us more.

OP here. I don't use this site enough to know that I needed an account to reply... I'm a barber. We're all independent contractors and we don't make money unless we're physically working. I make good money and have no intention of quitting; my problem with my coworkers getting stoned is that customers have an unnecessary wait time when they should be able to be served immediately, and when they do come back in, it looks bad on everyone as a whole for them to smell like that on the clock - an no, they're perfumes aren't cloaking it. The boss knows they smoke, she knows they smoke on the clock, but when anyone tells her that someone is being lax, her response is "well more money for you, then." Again, that's not the problem I'm having. I actually like my job, and I want customers to actually have a good experience when they're there. With what my coworkers are doing, they're not. Also, it's an independent store. There is no HR, no corporate, just the woman who owns the business itself - she's the only boss.

Top comments

oddities 20

You shouldn't cover for their asses anymore. If they wanna get stoned while you work, they should have to deal with the consequences. Next time, you should tell the customer the truth. If you can't bring yourself to report your coworkers, the customer might. You've gotta at least try.

still sucks, if I was a customer and saw your co-workers stoned whilst on the job I'd leave and go find a different shop. You say you're making good money, so I assume you've built a decent client base who come to the shop to be served by you.

Comments

OP here. I don't use this site enough to know that I needed an account to reply... I'm a barber. We're all independent contractors and we don't make money unless we're physically working. I make good money and have no intention of quitting; my problem with my coworkers getting stoned is that customers have an unnecessary wait time when they should be able to be served immediately, and when they do come back in, it looks bad on everyone as a whole for them to smell like that on the clock - an no, they're perfumes aren't cloaking it. The boss knows they smoke, she knows they smoke on the clock, but when anyone tells her that someone is being lax, her response is "well more money for you, then." Again, that's not the problem I'm having. I actually like my job, and I want customers to actually have a good experience when they're there. With what my coworkers are doing, they're not. Also, it's an independent store. There is no HR, no corporate, just the woman who owns the business itself - she's the only boss.

still sucks, if I was a customer and saw your co-workers stoned whilst on the job I'd leave and go find a different shop. You say you're making good money, so I assume you've built a decent client base who come to the shop to be served by you.

The unfortunate thing about the business is that I currently work in the top shop in my town (city vote), and whilst I would like to think they would all follow me, most don't have any way of contacting me out of the shop and would simply go my family member, who works in the same shop. I've looked around, but I love this company. Honestly, even if I leave, those screwing up will continue to screw up, and the way I see it, they don't deserve their jobs. They need to leave. I can also guarantee that because of their reputation in our shop, if they let anyone know they worked with us, no one would hire them.

Have you really confronted your boss? I mean, have a serious conversation or does she just blow it off? Because if she does just blow it off you should maybe think about getting the police involved. But that could be detrimental to the store so you should really think it through if you decide the police route though.

Goblin182 26

WOW, the owner lets her people cut hair while they are stoned? When they turn out bad haircuts because they are stoned it reflects on the business, the owner and everyone that works there. Does the owner not understand that this is her reputation these people are jeopardizing.

I know you love it, but it would really be in your best interest to leave. Your boss is letting people under the influence handle dangerous tools. It's only a matter of time before a customer gets hurt and sues.

Now that the OP followed up I cringe while reading the comments that people left beforehand.

Wow, OP, the owner has a really bad attitude about her business if she doesn't care that her employees are getting high on the clock and then coming back and cutting a client's hair. This could be bad. It's unfortunate that your reputation is being destroyed by the horrible culture of your workplace (I have an inkling of what that's like); if you work hard, you deserve better.

Helldemon 32

Maybe you should try to get her to understand that her store is going to be losing business as time goes on if customers are constantly having to wait long periods of time for their hair cuts.

For the record your coworkers are just being idiots, as a stoner I can get as high as I need to be in about 3 minutes without any smell whatsoever so they're really just not caring enough. That's a choice they need to get fired, I have nothing against getting high at work but at the very least they should be actually doing their job. If they want to get high on the side to make it less boring whatever but at least they should do it efficiently.

@109 I seriously hope you're trolling, no one should ever be high at work. I'd be very concerned for my ears if I knew the person cutting my hair was stoned

noonenoeone 22

ITT we have uneducated children who've never smoked pot regularly. Keep on being naive...just like in every other thread on this site.

Kristoffer 35

I've heard that this happens at hair places. And it's no more money for you if customers walk out due to the wait, and never return. You and I both know, that's lost potential income.

#109... *YOU* can't smell it; but I bet the rest of us non-smokers can tell right off the bat you've been smoking. I can sit by someone who was recently in a room with a person smoking and still smell it on them. It leaves a strong odor, just like tabacco.

Call nonemergency police line, give them the location and the time that most of them are smoking. Do it in a way that can't connect back to you- call from either an area of the shop or on a day off when your coworkers 'know' you are somewhere specific.

Much worse than tobacco. Especially the crap they're smoking out here in the west. You can smell that shit 2 blocks down the street.

How about the person building your house? As a tradesman I can attest, a lot of them smoke. Their are tons of people who smoke weed and can function just fine "under the influence", it's just the dumbasses you hear about.

People shouldn't get high on the job. Leave that stuff at home.

valentinov 15

I think it's time to join them :))

miyaviichan 27

Where do you work? I need a job... And if they'll hire a bunch of stoners they'll hire me! No smoking on the job.

If be pissed if my coworkers did that.

Report them all. Each and every one of them. FYL for having to work with a bunch of stupid drug addicts.

You know just because someone smokes weed doesn't necessarily mean they're a drug addict.

Either demand for a huge raise or quit. You should not have to put up with manning everyone's shift.

Barbers get paid (primarily) by their clients, I believe. I don't think demanding a raise is really an option they have. If OP worked anywhere else, maybe.

Amazed how few people say YDI. Yes, your life sucks because you have shitty coworkers, but YDI, by covering for them. You are letting it happen. Part of the fault lies with you. Tell the truth or stop complaining. Or tell the customers and you will get better tips. Your tips are probably hurt because people are pissed they have to wait so long. Also, if you know someone is cutting hair while stoned (and you lied about it) and they totally **** up and the customer decides to sue, you could probably be sued too.

So OP deserves it because s/he is trying to make sure customers come back so s/he can make money and pay for things necessary for living?

bigdonnie624 15

Quit your bitching. Hair grows back.

Did you not read the follow up? OP's boss doesn't give a shit

@OP: Suggest to your boss to set up some Service Level Standards. Max wait time is 10 mins. Come and do the job, or ill find some one else

I've read your responses, and to my thinking, it might be time to look into opening your own shop - next door if possible - and informing your customers of exactly what is going on. Set up some means of contact and information, like a single web page (which can later be expanded into a full site for your business) and print business cards with the URL to give to your customers. When the time is right, get the story and some evidence to the local media, and the place will be out of business in short order, and all the regular clientele will divert to you. At least, that'd be my approach.