By FallingNinjaa - 02/05/2014 00:07 - United States - Tampa

Today, I had to once again lie to a customer about why I was the only one manning the shop, saying that they must have run out for lunch - my coworkers were too busy getting stoned in their cars to do their job. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 502
You deserved it 5 244

FallingNinjaa tells us more.

OP here. I don't use this site enough to know that I needed an account to reply... I'm a barber. We're all independent contractors and we don't make money unless we're physically working. I make good money and have no intention of quitting; my problem with my coworkers getting stoned is that customers have an unnecessary wait time when they should be able to be served immediately, and when they do come back in, it looks bad on everyone as a whole for them to smell like that on the clock - an no, they're perfumes aren't cloaking it. The boss knows they smoke, she knows they smoke on the clock, but when anyone tells her that someone is being lax, her response is "well more money for you, then." Again, that's not the problem I'm having. I actually like my job, and I want customers to actually have a good experience when they're there. With what my coworkers are doing, they're not. Also, it's an independent store. There is no HR, no corporate, just the woman who owns the business itself - she's the only boss.

Top comments

oddities 20

You shouldn't cover for their asses anymore. If they wanna get stoned while you work, they should have to deal with the consequences. Next time, you should tell the customer the truth. If you can't bring yourself to report your coworkers, the customer might. You've gotta at least try.

still sucks, if I was a customer and saw your co-workers stoned whilst on the job I'd leave and go find a different shop. You say you're making good money, so I assume you've built a decent client base who come to the shop to be served by you.

Comments

this happens A LOT in Oregon we just say we don't know where they are. unless keeper is your job title it doesn't really matter were other employees are. but if they're slackers tell management they're slacking on shifts stoned our not stoned that's reason enough usually to be fired.

avapaige1234 19

And you get the same salary? Suck to be you, OP

I like that fact that you covered for them, but instead of having to suffer manning the shop alone you should try to report them.

I would go to your boss. so they can put a foot in their rear!

Goblin182 26

If someone wants to get stoned that's their business. Until they are doing it in our workplace and leaving me to pull the full load while they get wasted. I would be damned if I would let them put the extra work on me. Also working with stoned people makes for an unsafe workplace, so not only are they making you do their job for them they are putting you at risk. I would definately report them to the boss. And if that didn't do any good I would report them to the police.

call the better business bureau and tell them that your boss knows what's goin on and does nothing. also call your corporate office they'll b pissed.

Definitely. If the boss really knows and does nothing.

don't take the blame for others...

You really need to stop covering for your coworkers, OP. Why haven't you told the manager or owner? Shouldn't they know that all of your colleagues are out getting high and sticking you with the work? And the next time a customer asks, just tell them you don't know, they must have slipped out or something. And I agree that it might not be a bad idea to look for a new job.

Sorry you have to work with lowlife drug addicts.

GGitsNami 10

Sounds like my last. Job I quit for the same reason.