By Why - 03/09/2015 19:54 - United States - San Francisco

Today, I had to create another signature. I have to use one at the bank and the other around my mother, so that when she tries to cash my paychecks the bank won't let her. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 977
You deserved it 1 846

Same thing different taste

Top comments

the bank shouldn't let her anyway. Tell them that every time someone comes in to cash a cheque under your name that they have to take ID. That's part of the reason many banks won't take third party cheques anymore. Also your mother could end up paying a hefty fine/go to jail for her actions.

Comments

Idk about your bank, but I work at one and you can ask them to put a message on your account saying your mom has been trying to cash your checks and to ask for a password that you make up and say you have to have an id to cash because she knows your social.

SmittyJA24 26

My first wife (now divorced) was the same way; she also had credit cards opened under her mom's credit, credit cards in our children's names ... I think she even had one in the dog's name. I changed banks 5 times. I finally found a bank that would require my thumb print, a PIN and a password.

zeffra13 31

Most banks, as far as I've noticed, don't pay attention to signatures unless someone reports that some are fake and they do an investigation. You can even deposit them at ATMs and no one looks at them until at least the next day. You should definitely get your mom on some sort of watch list. Also, how is she getting ahold of your checks? Tell your boss not to give them to anyone but you, and don't leave them unattended!

I agree that if possible direct deposit is the best way to stop this from happening.

Man, our states all ****** up. All the pretty bad FMLs take place here

JayBee394 1

I'm seeing all these people talk about direct deposit but a lot of jobs don't have that option sadly.

tell the bank she isn't authorized to cash them

That just sucks that you have a mother like that. Why don't you just get direct deposit, avoid the whole situation in the first place? Again fyl that just is awful that a mother would even consider doing something like that.

Perhaps it's time to get a divorce...