By tickdog - 19/03/2012 03:09 - United States - Rockwall

Today, I got my dog back from my aunt. Rather than taking him to an actual groomer, I gave him to my aunt because she needed a few extra bucks. My generosity lost me $35, and gave my dog ticks and a bad haircut. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 873
You deserved it 5 473

Same thing different taste

Top comments

LoveMay 10

Never trust your family members …

I bet that situation left you -puts on sunglasses.- ticked off. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHH!

Comments

YDI for paying her after seeing what she did to your dog..

I would never leave my dog with someone I couldn't trust to groom her. Being a relative doesn't mean they can groom a dog. I would at least be present when they were doing it. Did it ever occur to OP that you could just lend her or give her the money instead of leaving your dog in incapable hands for the sake of "generosity"? It's lucky enough that that's all that happened to your dog, it could have gotten badly injured or sick.

MissHayleyJames 7

People it's not that hard to groom a dog if it's not a fancy cut, unless you're an idiot. OP may not have known her aunt was an idiot.

It's not about what the dog looks like when it's done. It's about what if the aunt hurts the dog because it moved when she was clumsily cutting the fur? What if she doesn't wash him properly and it gets some skin problem (it already managed to get ticks)? For my dog, it's really easy to get skin problems if she's not washed properly. And not everyone can control someone else's dog while clipping their fur. I groom my dog at home. I don't need anyone to be a professional. But that doesn't mean I'd just leave her in the hands of someone that never groomed a dog before and just trust them without not even seeing what they are doing to her, relative or not.

cierraashlee 5

It doesn't matter. Let her do it again next time for less or no money maybe so she can practice. It made her happy to help you out anyway. Feed your dog garlic to get rid of ticks.

Lizzy500 16

Don't feed you dog garlic unless you want to risk killing it. Garlic can cause anemia in dogs. So can onions.

petlover7598 7

46 is right don't feed your pets garlic or onions. OP you are obviously in a place where ticks are so your dog should be on a tick prevention anyway. Go to your vet and get a product from them to take care of ticks. Don't waste your money on stuff from stores it can be harmful in many cases as well and often does not work.

That's a vague and dangerous statement. OP should do their homework before attempting this. An overdose of garlic will lead to anemia and trust me, it's NOT hard to do. Studies show that the toxic property of garlic isn't stored in the body but your pet can't just excrete it all at once. Derp.

CrassKal 27

That's too bad. gonna have to buy tick shampoo. Also, don't buy that it from a dollar store, that stuff can be lethal.

Your aunt had ticks and didn't tell you? That's like not revealing an STD to a sex partner.

For $35 you can buy some clippers and do it yourself.

As an apprenticing groomer this makes me so very sad.. Please don't sacrifice the well-being of your pet so that a family member or friend can make a few bucks. Contrary to popular belief, grooming is NOT for dummies. It's a stressful ordeal for an animal and it's your responsibility to keep comfortable and safe - this means knowing anatomy, behavior, your equipment, and techniques. You could burn your dog with a hot blade, scrape/nick the skin or poke their bloody eye out and it would probably be a very honest mistake -- but a very preventable one as well. Another thing to keep in mind is that your family member or friend may not be happy if your pet bites and might try to seek compensation. To remove ticks easily, spin it in a circular motion with your finger. It will get dizzy and let go eventually. & remember, $35 is a small price to pay every 4-6 weeks to ensure that your pet is clean, comfortable and happy. :)

BeatifulPenguin 4

My teacher once got charged and extra $20- for the 'handling fee' because he wouldn't calm down…