By Noname - 28/02/2009 20:57 - United States

Today, I got a 31% on a Chinese test at school. I moved here to New Jersey from China two months ago. FML
I agree, your life sucks 62 487
You deserved it 19 305

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Were you born in China? I mean, if you lived there for like a year, then that would make sense. Chinese is hard. If you were born there, well I don't know...

jackaaa 0

That actually happens often. I've had friends move to Mexico during high school, and they always did poorly on their English tests. It's because they go into more detail in the class than we ever did here. They concentrate on the little things we don't notice. It's normal.

Comments

sutianneli 13

Dude... Calm down, it's a FML.

I'm sure many people native to New Jersey fail English tests. Speaking a language doesn't guarantee that you know all the grammar and spelling that you need to pass a test.

StamkosTheMan91 10

Your parents aren't going to be too pleased you didn't get an A+ haha.

magnetic_aura 26

In China they use Simplified characters, whereas in America, when they teach Chinese they teach Traditional characters. I think that's the common policy, its been my experience at least... Can be really tough! Sorry, OP!

I know it sucks but the thing is each country teaches it differently like the way you learn Chinese back in China won't be the same as you learn it in the US it's the same with every language, I live in Canada and we have a chance to go to France and learn how to speak fluent French and while we are there we have to take place in school which includes learning English and the way they teach it there I would fail the tests.

If you were born there it's because you learned the slang terms and spoke with common people. In schools they teach the "proper" version of the languages

either OP was super tired or we are not as dumb as we think

Suaria 38

There's one official language of China which is Mandarin. In the south of China, most people speak Cantonese as well as Mandarin. Many northerners not all do not know how to speak Cantonese.

Maybe the Chinese taught in NJ is different? For example, in Ontario (Canada) I learned the style of French that was more formal and appropriate for France, however the Quebec people from Canada speak a variation of this same language. My sources: My Quebec-born French teacher and a France-born French teacher told us this.