By poor man - 26/11/2014 14:13 - United States - Fort Lauderdale

Today, I frantically told my parents that my bank account had no money. Turns out, they took the $1,600 I had saved up from a summer job and invested it in penny-stocks. I was grounded because they were "doing it for the family," and I'm being selfish. They also had lost it all in a matter of days. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 743
You deserved it 2 974

Same thing different taste

Top comments

meggieeeee92 27

How did they get access to your account? And doesn't the bank notify you when you take out a large amount of money? Your parents are ****** up and should be paying you back for their stupidity.

ahippienamedrae 10

That sucks, OP. Maybe you can get them to pay you back eventually ):

Comments

queenjordan777 3

That is extremely unfair, but a lot of the suggestions here - running away, damaging cars etc - would just make a bad situation worse. All you can do is learn from it and keep your money where they cannot get it in future. But well done for getting a Summer job and working so hard. You will go far and leave them way behind one day.

kitsune309 15

At risk of sounding as American as I am: Sue their asses!! That's illegal!

**** it dude, if i were you i would get a lawyer involved thats bullshit.

Youre selfish for saving money that you earned and worked for? Great parents.

Hrm. Don't know about where you are, but here if you're old enough to get a job, you're old enough to get your own bank account. Why did your parents have access to it to begin with? FYL for the loss, but YDI if you gave them access to your account.

This is why you don't let your parents into your bank account in any way, kids

ldonnahee 10

That may not be as easy as you think. If op is underage, parents can potentially do whatever they want with their children's possessions (unless the child has been emancipated). If the parents also had official access to the account, that also gives them the right to use it for whatever they want. Like a joint checking account for example. A lot of things aren't specified in this post, which you do need to know before you can say something like that.

Suppose they haven't seen the Wolf of Wall Street then.