By thechimpchapter - 31/12/2011 06:48 - United States

Today, I found out that the neighbor I'd given a bottle of wine to for Christmas is a recovering alcoholic. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 472
You deserved it 7 170

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Kypopz 9

The guy's like, "Eh, one sip wouldn't hurt".

Im a muslim too. I dont think its awkward. Youre awkward.

Comments

mismonroe 0

It was a matter of time before he dusted off step one again, though, right?

Now he has someone to blame when he talks to his therapist about why he became an alcoholic again..... Smooth OP

Since you didn't know, you can't put yourself down. If you handed it to the neighbor in person, he could have said he wasn't able to drink it. He also may have re-gifted the bottle.

hateevryone 14

it's not your fault. you didn't know until after you gave it to him.

This may sound callous but that's his problem, not yours. Recovering alcoholics have to learn to live in a world that is not alcohol-free. He could give it back, give it away, or pour it out. If he chooses to drink it, you can't blame yourself for his inability to resist temptation. To assauge guilt, stick to neutral gifts or just keep being a considerate neighbour and let people sort out your well-intentioned gifts in their own way.

That's unfortunate :/ In those kinds of cases I'm never sure whether to bring it up again to apologize or just hope the person forgets or thought it was funny maybe..

jd70 1

ohh boy thanks 2 u he is an alcoholic.... againnn