By NintyStar - 30/08/2016 20:15 - United States - Minneapolis

Today, I found out that my college textbooks, which I spent nearly $200 dollars on for the two of them, did not come with the codes they were advertised with. The codes are needed for online classwork that is required to pass the course. Each new code is $90 a piece. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 822
You deserved it 1 581

NintyStar tells us more.

OP here: for clarification, these are the books for one course. The rest of my books for my first semester (I'm a college freshman) drove my textbook costs up to over $500. So having to pay nearly $200 more for my books that did not come as advertised is a bit of a shock, to say the least. For reference, I bought all of my books the week before move-in, and I've only just finished my first week of classes. Luckily, my professor is very understanding, and she just sent me the link to where I could buy the codes and know they were legitimate, and she said she'd just give me credit for what I've already missed. So, I guess you could say this story has a happy ending, more or less. I'll just be better about it when buying books for next semester.

Top comments

TheEpicKitten 20

I'd contact the retailer and ask if it was just a mishap that the codes were missing

They're defective and not as described then - return them and get them somewhere else

Comments

Welcome to college man! I always got used books until I found I needed the code... It's such a ripoff, I'm just used to paying the extra money for a code now.

Started engineering school today, my books for this semester will be between 500-750 bucks. So i searched the web for pdf files from the books and borrowed some from library and copied the chapters needed for class (legal to copy parts but not entire books here)

JustStella 28

Yup, I replied to OP about bowworing books, I forgot to mention the PDF option. It usually doesn't work out for me, though.

I feel your pain. I went through the exact same thing. Contact somebody, because I got the code AND a refund when I complained. But don't count on the same thing happening

my question is, where they second hand or were they brand new? Because if they were Second Hand of course they didn't come with the code. If they were brand-new then let's contact the manufacturer or the bookstore and what you bought them from.

Professors who require multiple texts you don't even use are in the same boat.

One of my professors insisted we ABSOLUTELY NEEDED this one giant $150 book for his class. I used it ONCE. Only to discover that he'd basically just read the book word-for-word during class, so it contained absolutely no new information and was pretty much worthless. If I ever go back to college, I will never ever EVER buy a book until the classwork proves that I actually NEED it. Also, he wrote the damn thing. Gotta wonder how much he makes on every sale.

Once I finished my general core classes that required university specific textbooks and online codes, I was able to put my cost around $30/semester for all 5 classes. Unless you need online codes, never ever buy new books. If you wanna go legit, rent them (any good size universities should have a 3rd party textbook store nearby) for a lot cheaper (and youll likely never look at an old textbook again anyway), or if your morals are a bit looser, number of sites online to download/torrent nearly all of your books.

Try BookFinder4u.com It will search a bunch of different websites (Amazon, Ebay, Thriftbooks are the only 3 I can name off the top of my head) for the name of the book you want, or any book by a certain author, and show you what the different websites are selling the for. And even the price of what the book would cost brand new in most cases, so you can see how much of a deal you'll be getting.

I have the exact same issue for my pre calc course!

If the books had the codes advertised as being with them then you should be able to contact the retailer or the manufacturer and get them for nothing, or be sent new books that the codes are in.