By NintyStar - 30/08/2016 20:15 - United States - Minneapolis

Today, I found out that my college textbooks, which I spent nearly $200 dollars on for the two of them, did not come with the codes they were advertised with. The codes are needed for online classwork that is required to pass the course. Each new code is $90 a piece. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 822
You deserved it 1 581

NintyStar tells us more.

OP here: for clarification, these are the books for one course. The rest of my books for my first semester (I'm a college freshman) drove my textbook costs up to over $500. So having to pay nearly $200 more for my books that did not come as advertised is a bit of a shock, to say the least. For reference, I bought all of my books the week before move-in, and I've only just finished my first week of classes. Luckily, my professor is very understanding, and she just sent me the link to where I could buy the codes and know they were legitimate, and she said she'd just give me credit for what I've already missed. So, I guess you could say this story has a happy ending, more or less. I'll just be better about it when buying books for next semester.

Top comments

TheEpicKitten 20

I'd contact the retailer and ask if it was just a mishap that the codes were missing

They're defective and not as described then - return them and get them somewhere else

Comments

most time the ebook comes with the codes. return the book, get your money back and buy just the code

Don't worry you will get about 5$ each when you sell them back to the book store

Something similar happened to me, for my chem class, I emailed my teacher and asked her if she needed us to get the access coded books. She replied with no she didn't and sent an email to the class stating that the access code book wasn't required. So I purchased just the book from a friend who taken the class before without the access code for 60. FF to the first day for school, the teacher announced that McGraw Hill publication (chem book producer) has threatened her because her class wasn't buying the 150 dollar book. So she was forced to have us buy the codes. Well, the book and code brand new was 150. I already had the book and just needed the code so I called them, McGraw Hill said "because the book is worthless, the code itself will be 350 dollars". Moral of this story McGraw Hill publication has a monopoly on textbooks, and when you try to save money (haven forbid) they will come back and **** you and your teacher over.

kesaiz 1

I had to pay $1600.00 for one organic chemistry II book. this was 4 years ago. McCaw Hill has insane prices. $800.00 for physics II, calculus II just as pricey. if I had to do it over again I would have gone to university in Germany, at least you only need to take classes that pertain to your major. (back then any way).

Whyby15 3

As bad as that is, the five books that I was required to purchase this semester totaled to about $800. Good luck getting it settled OP.

TheBeastJerry 7

This is why you rent your textbooks online at a really low cost and then buy the access code separately and you will still get them cheaper than the bundle

TheyCallMeDamien 17

Demand a refund and send them back.

kk21days 14

I totally understand not wanting to spend that much for books for 1 class. This semester I had to pay $500 for 2 books for ONE class! Thanks, O Chem. :(

JustStella 28

Organic Chemistry is what squashed my dreams of ever becoming a doctor. That's okay, I went into speech therapy instead and I think it's the better option for me.