By SapphireRaven - 07/09/2009 05:04 - United States

Today, I found out that I was denied for work study eligibility by my college. I went to my financial advisor to ask why. It wasn't my grades or attendance. Apparently my father makes too much money for me to get a job at the school. My dad was fired 3 months ago and has been out of work since. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 629
You deserved it 2 567

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Schools take information for the year before.

Isn't there something legally you can do about that?

Comments

iamelrebel 0

that definitely sucks but there are worse things in the world. quit whining and be thankful that you get to go to college at all. some people aren't so lucky.

ifailatmylife 0

Same thing happened to me. I applied for work study and was denied because my dad made too much money. Just before the start of school my father was fired from his job when the company he worked for found out he was just diagnosed cancer. Now I have so many student loans I can barely get by.

notinmycornhole 0

You can fill out a special circumstance form with your dad's hire and termination dates with explanation why your financial situation this year is different than the year you last filed taxes. You can still get an on campus job without being involved in a work study program also. Go to your university's career center and ask them about their on campus postions.

work study blows. the same thing happened to me. actually, i even started a fb group about it "i can't get a job because i don't have work study".

See if you can get a job off campus, work study is a scam.

peacelovebaby 0

Ugh the same exact thing happened to me! And since my mom got laid off AFTER she submitted her tax info they claimed that she makes way too much money for me to even get financial aid. Soooo stupid!! I feel your pain

dearambivalence 0

Welcome to the wonderful world of college. Depending on how bureaucratic your school is, you might be able to fight it - my boyfriend was in the same situation and he was able to get some just by going in and talking to them.

Alyta 0

I work in FA at a college and its like that. Sorry it sucks