By SapphireRaven - 07/09/2009 05:04 - United States

Today, I found out that I was denied for work study eligibility by my college. I went to my financial advisor to ask why. It wasn't my grades or attendance. Apparently my father makes too much money for me to get a job at the school. My dad was fired 3 months ago and has been out of work since. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 629
You deserved it 2 567

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Schools take information for the year before.

Isn't there something legally you can do about that?

Comments

FireFlie07 20

You can file a special conditions form. All you have to do is show his records from the department of unemployment security, fill out a couple of forms and everything is oke doke. You can request the form from a financial aid adviser.

This. My best friend had to do this when his dad got sick and couldn't work.

OR... the OP can get a job as a server or barista like half of his peers have had to do. I don't get why this is an FML. Three months of unemployment is NOTHING compared to what others in this country are going through, and I assure you that no one qualifies for work-study after that short of a time period, even WITH special circumstances forms. I would venture to guess this person's dad already earned enough in 6 months to disqualify him. Plus, my school hires non work-study kids too. Work-study awards don't automatically mean you're hired.

Still, if he's desperate--filling out the special conditions form wouldn't be a waste of time. The part-time job market's bearing close to non-existent in some places. My sister just found a part-time job... three years after she started looking for one. Granted, she didn't *need* it, but it's satisfying for her because she can contribute to tuition. And finally, if the OP *hasn't* tried looking for other jobs--quit whining and go apply for some shit. The well's not dry yet.

scorpioserpent 1

Not the end of the world...Go get a job! My parents make too much for me to qualify for any aid, but yet I'm the one paying for college. I work two part time jobs. They aren't that hard to find.

PishPoshPixie 0

Shit happened to me. My dad lost his job back at the end of May. UGH!

I didn't get a dime. I don't think finacial aid should be base on parents income.

it is... along with the cost of your school, the number of people in your family, the number of people in school, savings, and other things if your family's income is 60-100k a year, you have 5k saved up, and there are no other college kids in your school, and then you go to a state school that costs 13k a year, you're probably not getting anything. It takes pretty much POVERTY to get financial aid. Yeah, college is barely affordable, but I don't get why people think they are OWED money. Financial aid doesn't pay for school if your family can get by without it. That's why you fill out the FAFSA, to calculate how much your family can contribute. Yes, it is usually more than your parents think they can, but the govt isn't just going to fork over money to everyone that easily.

Jefferson207, If you don't think so, become emancipated from your parents, but make sure you can live by the rules. This means that you cannot receive more than a small amount of money from them, and you can't live at their house for more than a certain number of days a year (at one time, it was a maximum of 42 days in a given year). You'll need to do this even if you are 18 or over, because colleges assume that your family is a viable source of funding for your education. You can read the Emancipation Proclamation for its historical value, but it doesn't apply to your situation.

scorpioserpent 1

I kind of agree. I didn't get anything from FASFA, but I work two jobs to pay for my college, since my parents do not. It makes me kinda mad to see some of my friends have FASFA cover all their expenses and they don't work at all.

Work-study is a form of financial aid that gets you a job instead of a grant. However, you don't need to be part of a work-study program to get a job. Your father's income may have cost you the chance to enroll in a work-study program, but don't think for a second that it somehow means you can't get a job on campus. It'll require more work on your part, but I'm sure it can be done. Try seeing what positions are available at your school, what the requirements are, and apply to those for which you qualify. If you don't feel like searching through your college's website, they probably have some kind of department that deals with student employees. Check it out. If there's nothing on campus, look off campus. Don't get the idea that just because you're in college means that waiting tables is somehow beneath your dignity.

Ah well, I couldn't get financial aid despite the fact that my mom lost her job last year. She still worked part of the year, so we don't qualify. Now I'm trying to support my family and go to school without any aid. It's tough, but that's why I have a real job, not just one at the college. You can still make it work, it will be difficult, but hey, life is pretty difficult.

Luvs2laugh17 0

I just don't get it, until this year I never got grant money even though my mother is a struggling single mom. I always got loans, which weren't even enough to cover all of my schooling. I go to a local community college and I feel as if the only people that get the grant money are the girls with children or the people from out of the country. I have nothing wrong with either groups of people, however I do have a problem with the fact that American students with no children who come from single parents hardly get anything. And no, my mother is not a single mother since she was a young mother, my parents divorced. I will say that some of these girls with children are not deserving of the money. I remember in my first semester there was a girl in my one english class who was too worried about her 'baby daddy drama' then the class. She wound up dropping it and the school had given her an over abundence of grants, she even had enough to buy a back pack which cost $70 at the book store. Ugh, I just don't understand why the people who are undeserving of the money get it while those who are deserving get nothing.

star_ver 0

Maybe it's because you go to community college (some grants require that you be enrolled in a 4 year institution). Or that your mom makes too much money. I got a Pell Grant and I'm not an immigrant or a girl with a kid. I just meet the requirements.

Welcome to government financed education.

Luvs2laugh17 0

Well it's not because I go to a community college; you still get grant money. I was actually shocked I got grant money this year. They always have said my mother makes too much which is hard to believe seeing as she struggles just to pay her bills. I guess now that she is on unemployment I finally qualify.

darkblue_13 0

That sucks, but thousands of students have the same story in this economy, and thousands more didn't get financial aid in the first place when they needed it

Try talking to your university about the special circumstances. A lot of that going around right now.