By SapphireRaven - 07/09/2009 05:04 - United States

Today, I found out that I was denied for work study eligibility by my college. I went to my financial advisor to ask why. It wasn't my grades or attendance. Apparently my father makes too much money for me to get a job at the school. My dad was fired 3 months ago and has been out of work since. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 629
You deserved it 2 567

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Schools take information for the year before.

Isn't there something legally you can do about that?

Comments

You don't know how university financial aid offices work, do you? or the government aid/fail sheets.

3 months isn't really that long to change it that much. Of course I don't know how much he made before, but if he were to find a job again soon it wouldn't make that big of a dent in his income I'm sure. My dad was out of work for 14 months and OSAP (they give loans for Ontario students) didn't even give me enough money to cover my tuition. I had to ask them to assess my parent's 2009 income as opposed to 2008, and even though I got more, it still wasn't much. The government just hates students. They even upped the tuition and book prices in a recession!

Eresbel 0

Your dad is probably getting severance and so you don't qualify. My mother's been unemployed for a year (and she was the breadwinner) and my brother and I didn't get ANY money because she was still being paid, essentially. I feel bad, but I also don't. Not at all, actually.

quailmunk 0

Where I go, the school itself is only given a certain amount of money to award as work-study. Students who apply after a priority date usually have to be put on a waiting list to get it, even if they're eligible based on their FAFSA or a re-evaluation.

kellyyo 0

also, in response to what someone said about it taking poverty to get financial aid, yeah that or if you have a really good accountant who can hide all your money. so many people i know do this...which screws the people over who actually need it! that really upsets me. most of us dont even have any money to hide, then they say we have too much! wtf

grimmelok 0

I get about $50,000 in aid each year of college. It's pretty awesome.

"...I used to be a farmer, and I made a living fine, I had a little stretch of land along the CP line But times were hard and though I tried, the money wasn't there And the bankers came and took my land and told me "fair is fair" I looked for every kind of job, the answer always no "Hire you now?" they'd always laugh, "we just let twenty go!" The government, the promised me a measly little sum But I've got too much pride to end up just another bum. Then I thought, who gives a damn if all the jobs are gone? I'm gonna be a PIRATE on the river Saskatchewan! And it's a heave-ho, hi-ho, comin' down the plains Stealin' wheat and barley and all the other grains It's a ho-hey, hi-hey farmers bar yer doors When ya see the Jolly Roger on Regina's mighty shores..."

hairytoenails 0

FIRST!!!!!!! ydi for having a dad ydi for going to school

bogg_fml 0

This FML is a repeat of another closely similar.. Sadly..