By Dioxin01 - 15/09/2010 20:55 - Canada

Today, I found out I'm being sued by the man whose life I practically saved a month ago. He says the way I pulled him out of the car he was trapped in has left him with permanent back problems. FML
I agree, your life sucks 51 474
You deserved it 3 467

Dioxin01 tells us more.

Hey everyone, This happened while I was driving in the United States. Also if I hadn't helped him, there would be no chance of him being alive today.

Top comments

Wow, whatta bastard. Tell him to go **** himself.

that1guy1 13

counter sue. Good Samaritan law.

Comments

If the car was threatening his life then you did the right thing. If he was in no immediate danger, just stuck in the car with minor injuries, then it is your fault. You can still be covered by the Good Samaritan Laws, only if you weren't on duty as an EMS personnel. If you were then you are screwed or you can use the fact that he was in some accident/crash which caused his problems instead of you. Good luck. I'm being trained as an EMT-Basic

it's called the good Samaritan law. he should have no grounds for a lawsuit!

slimjim8094 12

This will be an unpopular comment, but unless the car was on fire or he was otherwise in imminent danger, you should have left him. You could've paralyzed him. I've been an EMT for 4 years now and a large part of our training involves properly immobilizing the spinal cord and careful extrication to prevent further injury. You don't know how to do that. Now, if somebody is unconscious or the car is on fire, they need to come out. But if they're basically OK and safe where they are, don't move them!

Not to say that you're wrong, but to play devil's advocate. Untrained civilian comes across a wreck, person inside the car is unconscious(assumption, because if the person gave him permission, he has no case), how will this untrained person know if he's just unconscious or in imminent danger from injuries sustained? Now, granted, taking someone out of the car can cause injuries to be exacerbated, but you can't really inspect someone properly while holding c-spine, which is what he would have immediately done after securing the scene safety and announcing himself, were he a professional. But since he's not a professional, how would he know better?

Even if he's in immediate danger from injuries sustained, what is an untrained civilian supposed to do? I highly doubt an untrained civilian can stop internal hemorrhaging reduce brain swelling or fix anything that can't wait until ambulances arrive. Saying 'But since he's not a professional, how would he know better?' defeats your argument in my opinion. I'm not a neurosurgeon, so I don't cut open people's skulls and play with their brains. That's why we have professionals- they know what they're doing. So let them. (Granted it really sucks that you're being sued for trying to be a good person, OP)

Ironically, if you had let him die, you would still be getting sued.

Plead The good samaritans act. People disgust me now days..

I would say counter sue because if his case is dependant upon not giving you permission to save him you can say it was a life threatening situation and you did what you could to help and your also protected by the good Samaritan law which will help too

what a ******, u shud have left him to die

Is the guy black? Cuz then I can understand. Always wanna take advantage of any situation to get some money.