By Anonymous - 03/10/2011 20:49 - United States

Today, I finally got the nerve to tell my parents that I'm no longer going to pay them a flat percent of my salary, but only what they need to cover my expenses. Their response: "Better find a place of your own then, you freeloading bastard." FML
I agree, your life sucks 19 850
You deserved it 34 679

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

They are your parents and don't need to be begging their offspring for money just so they can live easy. You should be living with them for free. Save up, move out, **** them

Your parents have been raising you since you were born and before you had a salary, they have spent so much money on you and now that you have a job you should pay them back, not because they make you but because it's morally right. It's it so bad to return the favour?

Your argument is invalid, No one choses to be born. Offspring are not a money collecting device. Morally right is not an option, they have a ******* liability to raise you for the world, not to be some momey giver. God, I ******* hate people who uses the "repay your parents, they raised you" argument. It's very disrespectful and very wrong. *******...

They're not saying you need to "repay them". If the person is over 18 then the parents are no longer legally responsible for the child. One may presume here that the OP was not abiused or neglected, was given an education, food and a roof over their head as a child. They appreciate how hard it is but their role is not to care for you in their own home until they die (unless you have some debilitating disorder) - if they are letting you, an able and responsible adult, stay in their home then their role is now one of "landlord" and their home is still theirs - they pay the mortgage and maintenence don't they? OP doesn't. Now, at this point, THEY are doing OP a favour.

How much you're earning? If it is little apparently this issue is too unreasonable.

Really, your parents rather not have you around? It sounds pretty sad that you call you living with them 'something they didn't want'. I moved out when I was pretty young, and although my parents love having time alone now all their kids moved out, they would definately also love having me around a few years longer. It wouldn't be an obligation or anything..

Really, your parents rather not have you around? It's pretty sad that you living with them just three years longer 'wasn't something they originally wanted'.. I moved out when I was pretty young, and allthough my parents love having time alone now all their kids moved out, they would definately also love having me around a few years longer. It wouldn't be an obligation or anything..

Seriously? I know its hard for younger people to be able to afford to move away from their home now, I don't judge you on that, but if you are still living in your parents' home now as an adult then they are perfectly entitled to charge you what they want. I had to pay my parents 35% of my wage before I moved out at 21 and, you know what, that was fine because having me there, as an adult, in their home was not something they originally wanted either, they wanted some time to themselves, they wanted to be able to have freedom in their home again. Me being there was more than a water bill, it was a carry on of certain responsibilities and an elongation of their time before they got to enjoy themselves together without kids again. Lets face it, if you are an adult living in your parents home that still manages to work and does not rely on them for anything other than a roof over your head, they are pretty much a landlord now and you don't get to make demands you selfish child. Try insisting the same terms with a non-related landlord. It would be hilarious.

bubo_fml 10

If they don't agree on you covering your own expenses (which makes you everything but a freeloader), I guess they just want to make profit on your money. So they're the real freeloading bastards. I think you'll do yourself a favor by moving out..

wriptidez 0

just rent an apartment or a room at someomes house u trust and know

I sympathise with you and it could be that your parents are taking advantage, but you may also find that your "expenses" are actually a great deal more than you might imagine. Are you intending to take a third of the mortgage interest, a third of the heat, light, water, rates and taxes, a third of the household maintainance, insurance, TV subscription, phone, broadband, laundry & cleaning costs etc into account as well as just the food you eat? What happens when the roof leaks or the washing machine needs fixing? Are you paying a third of that? Personally, I would like to give my kids a leg-up if I could. However, it's not unreasonable for your parents to ask you to cover a third (assuming you are only 3 adults/earners in the house) of what running the house actually costs. That may be a lot more than you think.

Wth parents shouldn't kick their kids out because their cheap!! I'm sorry op