By Jay - 02/08/2010 17:23 - United States

Today, I discovered our AOL billing information. Turns out we've been paying for dial-up via automatic bill paying that we thought we cancelled in 2000. $1,800 later, we called to cancel. Customer service congratulated us on being loyal members for over 13 years. FML
I agree, your life sucks 20 669
You deserved it 30 854

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Wow, fail. AOL should be changed to "LOL"

#1 How would you not notice the monthly billing deduction from your bank account? #2 Why do you even have AOL on your computer still?

Comments

Too much money, not enough time to check your bill = YDI.

bugmenotmofo 34

I hate that. When high speed internet came into my area AOL begged me to stay with them.

Honestly, who reads through EVERY transaction on their bank statement? I'm not rich by any means, but I still don't notice every charge to my account--especially if it is something small. And while no one uses AOL anymore, they did 10 years ago.

Up yours. AOL has always been an evil POS. I'd get teased for using AOL.

spartan_girl 0

I read through every line of my bank statement every month, as well as every line on my credit card bill. I used to read my bank statement more frequently, but now I don't take the time... I have a close family member that was the victim of someone using his credit card number to make a lot of little purchases, and it wasn't noticed until the thief used the card for a bigger purchase. By then, he couldn't get money back for the hundreds of dollars in small purchases that had built up over a year or two. It's not like that bankrupted him or anything, but still. I don't live paycheck to paycheck anymore, but I certainly don't want anyone except my husband and I to have access to our credit card, and I don't want any companies that we authorize to withdraw money monthly to add fees without us noticing.

lol you are their only paying customer!

Not one part of this FML made sense... I call bullshit.

Dude, why was that comment moderated? The language was clean, I just meant that it didn't make sense... how can you not notice $1,800 missing over 10 years? Even if you are well off, you should check your bank statement every month. It shouldn't be easy to miss even $15 a month.

bugmenotmofo 34

If you didn't miss the money, you probably don't deserve to have it anyway. Not that I'm happy about it going into AOL's hands, but you're an idiot and got what you deserve.

This is the funniest FML I've ever read, holy crap. AOL... blast from the past.

KiddNYC1O 20

I still get a kick from what 34 said lol